The Vampire Lestat (Book II of The Vampire Lestat)

by Anne Rice | Horror |
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 7/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Sunday, July 21, 2013
I read this book a couple years ago and liked it, but haven't liked anything else by Rice that I've tried. I wondered if it was just a fluke that I had liked this one, so when I found this somewhat-battered copy on the dollar cart at Autumn Leaves, I grabbed it. And when I re-read it, I still did like it.

My previous review can be found here.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (9/28/2013 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

This book is heading out in The Vampire Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 7, 2013
I'm taking this from the vampire bookbox; thanks!

I'd first read this years ago, after I read Interview with the Vampire, and while this book focuses on Lestat's early life, long before the events of "Interview", it also touches on his time with Louis - and presents a compelling alternate viewpoint to many of the events of the previous novel. It's perhaps among the steamier books of the series, as Lestat describes his lovers with great enthusiasm... There's also considerable angst, though as it's clear that Lestat enjoys talking about himself, perhaps one needs to question his interpretation of some events {wry grin}.

The description of his meeting with Those Who Must Be Kept - Akasha and Enkil, the ancient vampires who founded the entire race - is very dramatic indeed, and leads into the events of Queen of the Damned, which I also enjoyed, though not to the same degree as the first two books.

[There's a TV Tropes page for the Vampire Chronicles series.]

Released 8 yrs ago (10/8/2013 UTC) at Post Office Bookswap Shelf (UBCZ), 353 Middlesex Rd. in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book on the book-swap shelf in the Tyngsboro post office lobby at around 1; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2013 Halloween Spooktacular release challenge. ***