Case Histories: A Novel

by Kate Atkinson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingiwillrejoicewing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 7/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingiwillrejoicewing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, July 21, 2013

From a BookMoocher in Ohio.

Book #1 in the Jackson Brodie series. (Click the small globe (above) for a synopsis of this book!)

Reserved for a book ring.

Journal Entry 2 by wingiwillrejoicewing at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 21, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/21/2013 UTC) at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 3 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 24, 2013
I'm looking forward to reading this book.

11/24/2017
Reserved for Dark-Draco's birthday.

12/10/2017
I quit on this book but I'm not blaming the book. I started it the night before my flight to Jamaica and read it on the flight but I just couldn't get into it. I think my mind was more into vacation than the book. (Three weeks later, I'm still reading the next book I picked up. December has been crazy, busy, and little time for reading).

Journal Entry 4 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/3/2018 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

Book is in the mail.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Journal Entry 5 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 11, 2018
Thank you so much for my wonderful birthday package and book.

Journal Entry 6 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 19, 2018
What a strangely compelling story? Jackson Brodie is sort of your stereotypical private eye, with a broken family, boring cases and dreams of retirement. But he ends up taking on three different cases and as he stumbles from one to another, he finds odd links between them and his own mixed-up life.

This isn't your average mystery novel - while Jackson does investigate the cases, a lot of his clues are arrived at by accident and only because he recognises them as clues does he get the job done. I quite like the way in which the reader doesn't get to find out what happens until the last few chapters, where each history is revisited and the actual events narrated. There are a few surprises in store and none of the cases are as straight forward as you would first think.

The characters are a little potty, definitely eclectic and wonderfully drawn. Despite it not being a action packed, crime thriller, you can't help but gobble up the pages as you need to find out what these people do next and why.

A great read - can't wait to pick up the next one in the Jackson Brodie series.

Journal Entry 7 by dark-draco at BookBox , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (12/27/2018 UTC) at BookBox , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Put into the 'Read it, Swap It. Leave It' book box.

Journal Entry 8 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
This is on my unofficial wishlist so it was a 'no brainer' to swap this book out of the Read it, Swap it, Leave it bookbox! I do like Kate Atkinson's writing and am looking forward to this one of hers.

Journal Entry 9 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, March 02, 2019
This did not wait long on my tottering piles of tbr. I do not know what I expected but I do know it was not this! Somehow I started this one night as a diversion from a more tension laden mystery and managed to finish it in a mad rush as I was so reluctant to put it down again.

This was rather different to the type of crime / mystery novel that I usually read and was very readable for a more literary style of writing than my more usual fare. The characters are all flawed (some more than others) but still believable and better described than usual - though I did not always care to be 'transported' into the character's mode / viewpoint, it did the job of making them seem more human than just a caricature. The stories are not related as such but told through vignettes which are neatly linked together by the author. This is the first of the Jackson Brodie stories (yes, another brooding, flawed detective!) but I enjoyed this.

No firm plans for this book at present, so I will make it available, but who knows!

Released 4 mos ago (4/24/2019 UTC) at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Happy travels little book.

Past time that this bookbox went on its rounds so apologies for the delays but it is on the way round now!

Journal Entry 11 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, July 05, 2019
Had to remove from the Crime/Mystery BookBox because I couldn’t get below the 2kg weight. I will wild release locally.