The Eyre Affair: A Novel

by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142001805 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Wildflower67 of Ocean City, New Jersey USA on 12/16/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Wildflower67 from Ocean City, New Jersey USA on Sunday, September 05, 2004
A slapstick story about a LiteraTech officer named Thursday Next who is after the literary villian Hades. If the original manuscript is altered, then all the books copies are altered, but they must be altered from within the story. Hades is out to ruin classic literature with Thursday's uncle's invention that allows people the ability to enter books.

I loved this book, it was highly entertaining!

Journal Entry 2 by Wildflower67 at on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Released 14 yrs ago (9/7/2004 UTC) at

Journal Entry 3 by Soraidh from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, September 20, 2004
Yes! Whee! I'm so thrilled to get this book. Thank you WildFlower for pointing out to me that you put it on Relay. I can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 4 by Soraidh from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, February 07, 2005
Wow, I actually managed to get to this book in a relatively short period of time. Well, short for me anyway considering I have some books that I got in 2003 I don't think I've read yet.

I was delighted by the winks and nods to authors and fictional works that Fforde uses in this book (and in his follow-up books as well.) It was sort of like being part of the popular crowd and knowing all the in-jokes.

I thought the book started off fairly slowly but after hearing all the good things about this book I perservered (we need a spell check option on BC! I have no idea if I spelled that right) and by the time I got to the climax I was glad I'd stuck it out. I think you might like the book a bit more (but only a bit) if you've read Jane Eyre but as I haven't read it I'd say it is still entirely possible to find the book delightful and charming without the background in Eyre.

Thanks Wildflower67! I enjoyed it so much that I'm reading Lost in a Good Book right now.

Journal Entry 5 by beautyredefined from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Thursday, July 13, 2006
Yay! This book showed up unexpectedly yesterday on my desk. Soraidh was kind enough to send it to me since it had been on my wishlist for quite some time now. I'm looking forward to reading it, as I quite enjoyed Jane Eyre. I'll probably put this right up next on my reading list.

Thanks again Soraidh!