Come Home At Once

by Guy Atkins | Nonfiction |
Registered by fracula of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 2/14/2015
Journal Entry 1 by fracula from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015
For more than a decade, Guy Atkins has collected postcards sent by the Edwardians. In this incredible treasury of 100 cards, he shares the very best from his collection. From the tantalising, to the hilarious, to the downright shocking, this compendium shines a light on an extraordinary phenomenon of communication.
At half the price of sending a letter, and with same-day delivery in urban areas, Britain became obsessed with the postcard between 1902 and 1914. By the outbreak of the First World War, the Post Office was delivering close to a billion cards a year. In fact, the speedy delivery meant Edwardian postcards were the text messages of their day!
Come Home at Once presents an intriguing piece of social history. In it, Guy explains just what made the postcard such an Edwardian sensation, what it really meant to tilt your stamp and how same-day delivery made Edwardian postcards completely different from the postcards we know today.

Journal Entry 2 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the February meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Happy travels, lovely book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015
Happy Valentines Day, my friend! I am honoured that you passed this book to me first!

Journal Entry 4 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Loved this little book! Bringing back to the group at Cravings Market for the meetup today.

Journal Entry 5 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 14, 2015
Picked up at March 14, 2015 Calgary bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, April 10, 2015
What an interesting mashup of cards from a fascinating period of time.

Will be returned to Calgary BookCrossing's April meetup and handed off.

Journal Entry 7 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 8 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 14, 2015
This is a really neat idea, and an interesting collection of post cards! I also like that similar to texts and posts online today, that these post cards often had a lack of grammar.

Thanks for the interesting read!

Journal Entry 9 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to get together

Journal Entry 10 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, November 16, 2015
Picked up at the November meeting.

Journal Entry 11 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (7/9/2016 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the July meeting - seemed appropriate in a month where I sent some post cards from the UK (and Norway) - hopefully they all arrive before Canada Post goes on strike!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 12 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2016
Picked up at the July meeting. We had 10 BookCrossers attend as well as way too many books.

Journal Entry 13 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 13, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/13/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Beautiful book of postcards. Taking this to the May meeting.

Journal Entry 14 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Brought this home from the May meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 15 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

What fun!! Just picked this up and had a stroll through, laughing, pondering, sighing. Nice slice of history.
I am taking this to the March meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 16 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 17, 2019
Picked up the book at the Calgary BC Meetup March 9 2019.

(Accidently deleted original journal entry. There is a long, frustrating story featuring me and computers, which is mildly amusing in hindsight......)

Journal Entry 17 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 31, 2019

Journal Entry 18 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the Calgary BC Meetup today.

Journal Entry 19 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2019
just picked up this book at last meeting.

Journal Entry 20 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 07, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (9/6/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Postcards were a means of communication during the Edwardian era. This is a collection of postcard messages from the curious to the bizarre. Very interesting how they addressed them such as Mrs Prior - The Red House in Harrow.

Journal Entry 21 by Ashtoash at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 11, 2019
to be read

Journal Entry 22 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 10, 2019
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing November meet-up. These vintage postcards look really cool. Here's hoping I can decipher the handwriting.

Journal Entry 23 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 11, 2019
I never occurred to me that postcards were like the text messages of the Edwardian era. In that context, it was super interesting reading these post cards. People just shot off these post cards like we shoot off texts to each other. You can have a lot of content or you can have just a question mark. Everything is out of context, too, so you're left wondering what some of these conversations were really about. Also, people had nicer handwriting back in the day.

Journal Entry 24 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing December meet-up.

Journal Entry 25 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2019
picked up at the December 2019 meeting

Journal Entry 26 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2020
Picked this up at the monthly Book Crossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.