The Tent, the Bucket and Me

by Emma Kennedy | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0091926785 Global Overview for this book
Registered by pinkoeria of Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on 7/13/2013
Journal Entry 1 by pinkoeria from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 13, 2013
For the 70s child, summer holidays didn't mean the joy of CentreParcs or the sophistication of a Tuscan villa. They meant being crammed into a car with Grandma and heading to the coast. With just a tent for a home and a bucket for the necessities, we would set off on new adventures each year stoically resolving to enjoy ourselves.

For Emma Kennedy, and her mum and dad, disaster always came along for the ride no matter where they went. Whether it was being swept away by a force ten gale on the Welsh coast or suffering copious amounts of food poisoning on a brave trip to the south of France, family holidays always left them battered and bruised.

But they never gave up. Emma's memoir, The Tent, The Bucket and Me, is a painfully funny reminder of just what it was like to spend your summer holidays cold, damp but with sand between your toes.

Journal Entry 2 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 10, 2013
This book made me laugh so much! There are so many bizarre events that happen in this book, you sometimes wonder if Emma Kennedy made some of it up (which she assures the reader was sadly not the case). It brought back memories of camping for me, although our attempts at camping were never this disastrous. I can heartily recommend this book.

Journal Entry 3 by pinkoeria at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (8/30/2013 UTC) at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands

Happy birthday!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much, pinkoeria, for sending me this book for my birthday! I'll have to check if the family holidays described in this book even remotely resemble ours! Perhaps leaking tents...?

Journal Entry 5 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Incredible! Reading this book would put you off holidaying forever! I can't believe everything in this book really happened! But if only half of it is true, then that's more than enough! A really great book!
Thanks, pinkoeria, for sharing this with me!

Journal Entry 6 by wingmotherof11wing at Immokalee, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (10/4/2013 UTC) at Immokalee, Florida USA

This wishlist book goes to iwillrejoice (tag game).
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, October 12, 2013
It's here!

This book arrived safely today. Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to this one!

Journal Entry 8 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 06, 2013
Camping for me as a kid was staying in a homemade cabin waaay out in the woods, complete with an outhouse & a hand pump to get the water out of the well. No tents, tho. Maybe that's why I didn't find this that funny? I don't know. I loaned it to a friend, & she cracked up all thru it. And I found it funny in spots. Just not as much as I thought I would. And I'm a bit appalled about some of the things that happened to her.

But thanks for sharing. I'm glad to have had a chance to read this one!

Reserved for booklady331's ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by wingiwillrejoicewing at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/24/2014 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Released to JennyC1230 in Georgia as one of her selections from booklady331's ABC VBB. Happy travels, little book!

Journal Entry 10 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Thanks for sending to me from the ABC Virtual Bookbox! This looks like a funny book!

Journal Entry 11 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, February 01, 2014
My Review: This book was so funny! It's probably the funniest travel memoir I've ever read! I love the beginning where she is going over what happened with her mom and asking if it really happened this way and her mom said something like "Unfortunately it's exactly what happened" Emma said she wished she could say she made up the stories but they all happened.

Being sick with a cold this week I wanted to read something that would make me laugh and this was the perfect book!

Journal Entry 12 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, May 10, 2014
Putting into my bookbox: Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox, for Round #6.

Released 6 yrs ago (8/7/2014 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Booksandmusic from the Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox Enjoy the books!

Journal Entry 14 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Arrived safely, thank you.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, February 05, 2015
Very funny, especially at the beginning, but after awhile I just couldn't believe they were going to go camping again! And if the tent is mildewed and the bucket is toxic why would you bring them again instead of just throwing them out and getting new equipment? They had enough money to buy a house so the cost is no excuse.
Also I got irritated with the mother after awhile, why did she keep dragging her family to France? Dad may have started these adventures in the first years but after awhile he did all the heroics (the ant nest!!!!) and mom whined, demanded her husband fix the situation, and blamed him; and Emma fell into catastrophe after catastrophe. And who would take a 13 year old's rectal temp in front of a gawking crowd! You also have to have a tolerance for hearing a lot about vomit and diarrhea. I'm not saying it isn't funny, it was, but I just felt relieved when they ended their camping career. I did love the goodbye scene to Bessy. They ARE a funny family!
I know she says all this is true and I would imagine the broad outlines are but I think the truth got stretched and re-adjusted a bit to make it funnier.
We have a few camping incidents ourselves but I find them more embarrassing than funny. One of the most memorable, and least embarrassing, took place in a campground north of San Francisco. Raccoons got in the cooler and stole meat. My young adult son yelled at them and stole it back. Then he was standing outside the tent saying evening prayers when he felt he was being watched. He twisted around to look and there were a half dozen malevolent raccoons in a tree looking murder at him. But he got in the tent safely, end of story. If this had been Emma's family I'm sure they would have been chased, perhaps bitten and Dad would try to be a hero and the car would break down and then a hurricane would blow in.

Journal Entry 16 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, March 08, 2015
I am listing this in the ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 17 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015
This book has been selected by rhythmbiscuit from the ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 18 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, April 20, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (4/20/2015 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Selected by rhythmbiscuit from the ABC VBB. It is on its way to her now.

Journal Entry 19 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, May 03, 2015
Thank you. I remember a lot of damp, chilly camping experiences as a child. From reading the above reviews, it sounds like Emma Kennedy's were far worse!

Journal Entry 20 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, July 31, 2016
I'm offering this book in Booklady331's Non-fiction Virtual Bookbox.

Journal Entry 21 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (9/8/2016 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

I mailed this book to firegirl.

Journal Entry 22 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Arrived safe and sound; looks like a blast. Thanks!

Journal Entry 23 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, January 02, 2017
Talk about tenacity. After the disasters this family goes through year after year, I’d never go camping again. The book is just what it sounds like – a collection of disastrous camping adventures in the 70s in Europe. The tales are horrific and hilarious though, as always, I’m amazed at the apparent memories people have from a young age. Maybe it’s just that trauma sticks with you, I suppose. Good for a laugh, if a slightly appalled one.

Released 4 yrs ago (2/2/2017 UTC) at George Washington University Hospital in Washington, District of Columbia USA

Left in the book cart in the main lobby. I figured people waiting could do with a laugh. Counts for the 2017 "Keep Them Moving" challenge.