The English: A Portrait of a People

by Jeremy Paxman | Humor |
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 7/10/2013
Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, July 10, 2013
An interesting attempt to define the indefinable. As Paxman points out, the English tend to be defined more in terms of what they aren't (Scottish, Welsh, Irish, foreign...) than what they actually are. The book's a bit rambling at times, and I'm not sure if I agree with all of his conclusions (it's also starting to seem a bit dated), but it's scattered with interesting bits.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 2 by cat207 at Queenstown, Otago New Zealand on Friday, October 18, 2013
From one cat to another...

Journal Entry 3 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, October 22, 2013
An unbiased view of the English... from an Englishman.

Journal Entry 4 by cat207 at Unconvention 2013 in Queenstown, Otago New Zealand on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (10/22/2013 UTC) at Unconvention 2013 in Queenstown, Otago New Zealand

On the computer desk at the bottom of the stairs at the Novotel.

Thank you for picking up this book & I hope you enjoy it. You have not only found yourself a book, but a whole community of book-lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.

I hope you will make a journal entry letting me know that this book has found a good home with you. You can do this anonymously if you wish. When you finish the book, please visit here again and share what you thought about the book.

Feel free to read and keep the book, or pass it on to a friend, or even set it free 'in the wild' for someone else to find like you did.

If you register you will be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's completely confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no-one is ever given your email address), totally free, and spam-free.

If you do decide to join BookCrossing, please tell them that cat207 sent you.

I hope you enjoy the BookCrossing experience!