The Distant Hours

by Kate Morton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cestmoi of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 7/9/2013
Journal Entry 1 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 10, 2013
From the back cover:

It starts with a letter, lost for half a century and unexpectedly delivered to Edie's mother on a Sunday afternoon. The letter leads Edie to Milderhurst Castle, where the eccentric Blythe spinsters live and where, she discovers, her mother was billeted during World War II. The elder Blythe sisters are twins and have spent most of their lives caring for their younger sister, Juniper, who hasn't been the same since her fiancee jilted her in 1941.

Inside the decaying castle, Edie searches for her mother's past but soon learns there are other secrets hidden in its walls. The truth of what happened in "the distant hours" has been waiting a long time to for someone to findit.

In this enthralling romantic thriller, Morton pays homage to the classics of gothic fiction, spinning a rich and intricate web of mystery, suspense and lost love.

Journal Entry 2 by cestmoi at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 12, 2013
This novel is so definitely a gothic thriller. I enjoyed it very much despite some cliches of the genre that were almost, but not quite, overdone; the crumbling castle, the elderly spinster sisters, one of sisters having gone mad with heartbreak.... you get the idea.

Nevertheless the story is engaging and addictive and the story is so lyrical, almost like reading poetry that it was easy to get swept along for the ride and not protest.

Mostly I give Morton the most praise for making the story of the Blythe sisters and Meredith and Edie so .... complete and so fulfilling and so right. Having finished the novel, I could see no other ending, no other possibilities - their story was so perfectly crafted.

Journal Entry 3 by cestmoi at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 02, 2014
Sending out to lauraloo29 as part of a trade.

Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Thank you! I will be sending out your book next week. :)

Journal Entry 5 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 21, 2016
I am struggling with this book. I have a new home for it.

Journal Entry 6 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, March 17, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/23/2016 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as part of the 2016 Birthday Group. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, July 02, 2016
Thank you very much for the birthday gift. Due to working a very long day tomorow, we celebrated my birthday today (2/7/16)

Journal Entry 8 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Jury's Inn in Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, November 17, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (11/19/2018 UTC) at Jury's Inn in Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom

Going to the new Official Bookcrossing Zone at the Jury's Inn hotel which is run by bookcrossing member Sharonhearn

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

***Please Note***