The Ocean at the End of the Lane

FREE BOOK!
by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 1472208668 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winglunaciawing of Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 4/23/2014
Journal Entry 1 by winglunaciawing from Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 23, 2014
THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman. It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it. His only defence is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.

Journal Entry 2 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 23, 2014
I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane on my way back from the USA last year. The book had just been published in hardback and e-book versions, and I had pre-ordered the hardback version to be sent home. However, I couldn't wait, so I decided to buy the e-book version, so that I could start reading it before I left the USA. Long story short: The flight home, where I was supposed to sleep, ended up being very sleepless. I couldn't put this book down!

It is a wonderfully written novel, and it didn't take long before I fell utterly in love with all the wonderful characters, and started to strongly dislike the not so nice ones. As always, what Gaiman writes turns into something magical. I loved every second of reading this book!

I hope YOU will enjoy it as much as I did, now that it is about to start is journey into the world. This copy was bought especially for bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 3 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 23, 2014
BOOKRING

This book wants to travel! Will you help it get around a bit?

The rules for this bookring are as follows:
* make a journal entry when you get the book
* read the book within a month - if delayed make sure to let us know why!
* when you've read the book, make a journal entry telling us what you thought about the book
* then send it to the next person on the list
* when sending the book, make sure to make a controlled release entry telling us when and from where the book was sent!

Participants:

- Blue_berry (UK) [EU shipping]
- Lubiette (Greece) [EU shipping]
- ana-b (Netherlands) [INTL shipping]
- lunatum (Finland) [INTL shipping]
- Janeka (Portugal) [EU shipping] <- The book is here!
- HappyHarryBabe (UK) [INTL shipping]

ASIA:
- tohweiee (Malaysia) [INTL shipping]

...then BACK to lunacia!

NB! Remember to make a controlled release note when you send off the book to the next participant!

Journal Entry 4 by winglunaciawing at Nærbø, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (5/31/2014 UTC) at Nærbø, Rogaland fylke Norway

Mailed off to wildwolverine today!

Journal Entry 5 by wildwolverine at Fredrikstad, Østfold fylke Norway on Sunday, June 22, 2014
Denne boka fikk jeg i posten like før jeg reiste på ferie, så den fikk bli med på reise. Er ferdig med de første kapittlene, og er som forventet helt hekta. Blir antagelig ferdig med den i sommer og sender den videre til lesehest når jeg kommer hjem.

Journal Entry 6 by wildwolverine at Fredrikstad, Østfold fylke Norway on Monday, July 14, 2014
What a read! As expected, i got hooked from the first pages. It's an easy read, still very profound because Gaiman really masters the art of elaborating the big issues with small words. My oldest son read it in one go while we were on holiday ... and loved it of course. I always though that boy had a good taste in literature!

The book has been read in a car on a roadtrip to Denmark, on the "Danskebåten", on the beach by the north sea in Jylland, in my bed and in a bus shelter while the rain was poring down.

I'll send it of to LESEHEST as soon as i get her address.

Journal Entry 7 by wildwolverine at Fredrikstad, Østfold fylke Norway on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (8/13/2014 UTC) at Fredrikstad, Østfold fylke Norway

Sent to LESEHEST

Journal Entry 8 by LESEHEST at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Monday, September 1, 2014
This book was waiting for me when I arrived from Turkey yesterday.
I will get to it as soon as possible, and pass it on to its next reader.
Thank you, Lunacia and wildwolverine :)

Journal Entry 9 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, October 15, 2014
The book just arrived and I had of course forgotten all about i! I'll read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 10 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Thursday, October 23, 2014
I really love this book; the story and the characters (well not all of them), even the cover! And I'm so sorry that it's over. I think I have to get my own copy.

I'm sending it on to Nordpirat tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by babelfisk at Centrum, Stockholm Sweden on Friday, October 24, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (10/24/2014 UTC) at Centrum, Stockholm Sweden

On its way to Nordpirat!

Journal Entry 12 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Saturday, November 1, 2014
Book has arrived. Probably a few days ago - I've been away on vacation.

Journal Entry 13 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, November 16, 2014
A wonderful fairy tale by Neil Gaiman. Both charming and thrilling.

Released 7 yrs ago (12/8/2014 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden

Finally on its way. I'm sorry about the delay - my whole family came down with the flu.

Journal Entry 15 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Received! Looking forward to reading it

ETA: After about fifty pages with increasing discomfort of the main character I wondered what made me pick this book. I'm not really into horror, even in form of fairy-tale. With time it grew on me, and near the end it became even poetic. It should be read in one sitting, so you wouldn't get bored with the story

Journal Entry 16 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, January 8, 2015

Released 7 yrs ago (1/8/2015 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

sent to Vekiki from the main post office

Journal Entry 17 by Vekiki at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 23, 2015
Got it, started it, loving it :)

Journal Entry 18 by Vekiki at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 30, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (1/30/2015 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

This is actually a really simple little story, but it's well told. this is my favorite of the recent gaiman offerings

On its way to the next reader

Journal Entry 19 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Received with thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
This is a lovely book for older children. Well written characters, I found what happened within the family interesting, but I'm not really into this supernatural stuff.

Will send onward soon.

Journal Entry 21 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (2/26/2015 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sent to the next reader in the BR. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by wingLubiettewing at Kallithea - Καλλιθέα, Attica Greece on Thursday, March 5, 2015
Now with me, thank you Blue_berry.

Journal Entry 23 by wingLubiettewing at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (3/10/2015 UTC) at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Not exactly what I was expecting for, though a pleasant story like a modern fairy-tale. Thank you for sharing, lunacia.
On its way to ana-b. Happy reading !

Journal Entry 24 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 18, 2015
The book has arrived in Gouda. Thank you Lubiette for sending it and Lunacia thank you for this ring. I have to finish one book and start another before starting this one.

Journal Entry 25 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, May 2, 2015
I have finished the book and once again I was not disappointed. It is a wonderfully written story. I love the main chararcters, especially Letty, such a brave 'little' girl. Thank you Lunacia for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 26 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 4, 2015
Motherof11 has already read the book, so I'll ask the next participant.

Journal Entry 27 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (5/20/2015 UTC) at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

This book is on its way to Finland.

Journal Entry 28 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Tuesday, August 4, 2015
Oh my, I have forgotten to journal and read the book! Thank you lunacia for asking. I'll read and send the book forward as soon as possible. And I'm really sorry for forgetting this!

Journal Entry 29 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Tuesday, November 3, 2015
First, I'm really sorry it took this long to read the book! There have been difficulties in my life lately... Actually this is first book I've read since summer.

I really loved the book. So beautiful and thrilling.

I'll send the book forward as soon as I get the address.

Journal Entry 30 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (11/22/2015 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland

The book is on it's way to next reader.

Journal Entry 31 by Janeka at Turquel, Leiria Portugal on Saturday, December 5, 2015
This book is now with me! :)

Journal Entry 32 by Janeka at Turquel, Leiria Portugal on Thursday, January 21, 2016
It took me some time to get in the mood for this story, but I really enjoyed the story and Neil Gaiman's writing. His interview at the end of the book is also a must-read.

Thank you for sharing, lunacia.
I have been trying to get in contact with the next person on the list (HappyHarryBabe) for the last couple of weeks, but I had no response so far.

Journal Entry 33 by Janeka at Turquel, Leiria Portugal on Thursday, March 3, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (3/4/2016 UTC) at Turquel, Leiria Portugal

HappyHarryBabe asked to be skipped, so the book will soon travel to tohweiee!

Happy reading :)

Journal Entry 34 by Janeka at Turquel, Leiria Portugal on Thursday, September 1, 2016
I have been wondering if this book has already reached its next reader...