Gideon the Cutpurse

by Linda Buckley-Archer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dark-draco of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 6/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 21, 2013
When my friend was clearing out an old storeroom at her workplace, she found a huge number of books tucked away out of sight. Rather than see them thrown out, I kindly offered to adopt them all for BookCrossing.

Journal Entry 2 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 17, 2019
Hmm, ok, first off, I am just a tinsiest bit older than the target audience. I have also read a lot of time-travel type stories, so I found this one slightly missed the mark for me.

It wasn't a bad story and had quite a lot going for it. I liked the premise and thought that the time era chosen was interesting. Gideon and the children were quite good characters, and I quite liked the sections back in the present day that followed the police investigation. But, it didn't really feel like a true adventure story to me - the kids fell from one encounter to the next, without really 'doing' anything to ease their lot. Apart from their antics at the hanging, you'd be forgiven for forgetting they were actually the main characters. What would Blyton's Famous Five say? I think I would have liked it more if they'd had more 'bottom' (as one of the characters calls courage!).

Overall, not a bad read and quietly entertaining in its way. I will read the sequels if they fall my way, but wouldn't rush out to buy them!

Journal Entry 3 by dark-draco at Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, January 02, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (1/2/2020 UTC) at Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

TAG :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 09, 2020
Thanks for this book received via the wishlist tag game. I've got a bit of a thing about time travel so I don't think it will be sitting on Mt. Toobe for too long.
Happy New Year and happy reading. Just had my first catch of the year and the catcher has joined and read and re-released the book so maybe I'll hear from it again.