The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse

Smile, sit down, and read
by Steven C Schlozman Dr | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 6/10/2013
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, July 04, 2013
Fun. Written in the style of Max Brooks' World War Z, things are not looking good for the living. This is the journal of a scientist sent on a last ditch attempt to figure out what causes someone to turn into a Zombie on a research station that has fallen ominiously silent.

Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 30, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (9/30/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put into The Medicine Chest Bookbox IV to look for a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 10, 2013
I'm taking this from the Medicine Chest bookbox (well, of *course*!). I loved Max Brooks' dockumentary-style World War Z and the companion book Zombie Survival Guide, and am interested to see how Schlozman's book compares.

Later: I couldn't resist dipping into this right away, and it was a pretty quick read, so I'll be putting it back in the box.

I do like the found-journal format, and it's treated pretty effectively here (though the "handwritten" conceit wasn't necessary, IMO; if it had been presented as a transcription it would have been a bit easier to read, and I wouldn't have been distracted by wondering just how the handwriting remained so even and legible under the conditions described!). I detected some mordant humor in the discussions of just where to draw the line between "human" and "not human" - not that this isn't a terribly real concern, of course, but when you've got a global apocalypse on your hands it seems a bit fussy to worry about whether the zombies can feel pain or not.

The conditions on the island were beyond appalling, and would be nightmarish to me even without the fact that everyone who went there knew - KNEW - that they, too, would become infected, and soon. It felt suitably claustrophobic and terrifying, though it also made me wonder just how valid any of the scientific findings could be when made under those circumstances. The combination of the handwritten journals and the official documents, with their glimpses of what's been going on in the rest of the world since the onset of the plague, as well as of the sufferings and gradual descent into madness (or worse) of the people on the island, was quite effective, and the eventual hints as to where the plague came from are tantalizing... Oh, and the illustrations are delightfully squicky!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 11, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (10/12/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this back into the Medicine Chest IV bookbox, which I'll be moving along soon. Hope someone else enjoys the book!

*** Released as part of the 2013 Halloween Spooktacular release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
*Squeak*! I am delighted to find this in the Medicine Chest bookbox. I didn't expect to see something like this in there but it's a lovely detour from the more serious and real medical concerns. Guess that's why I love this bookbox.

Anyway, the premise reminds me of a character in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, a doctor who tries to study the zombies and rehumanize them again.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 10, 2020
Reading this in the time of Coronavirus… a curious themed read, as in this book the scientists consider zombiism caused by a man made virus, and this new Wuhan virus has a lot of conspiracy theorists excited. Not to mention that the world is feeling as close to falling apart as I can recall, from experience and history.

When you watch zombie movies, do you ever wonder:

How do Zombies absorb their nutrients if their innards are rotting?
How does Zombiism affect the different part of a human brain?
Does Zombie need oxygen? How do they obtain oxygen?
Legally, when does a zombie cease becoming human and lose all associated rights?

Probably you don't. But I suppose Schlozman, MD, did, and ends up writing this novel.

I find it quite fascinating, and the setting of a few human scientists on an island with zombies, racing against time to research on a cure as they feel themselves turning into zombies and losing cognitive power and mobility... is rather chilling. I too find the handwriting font hard to read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAzukiwing at Alphabet Fiction Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 23, 2020

Released 5 mos ago (11/23/2020 UTC) at Alphabet Fiction Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I think the Alphabet Fiction Bookbox is the perfect spot for releasing this title.
I read this a few months ago when COVid just hit. Sadly we are now still in a pandemic phase. : (

Journal Entry 8 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, January 03, 2021
I’m intrigued. And a little creeped out😂Still, I’m going to pull this from the alphabet bookbox. Turning this Z on it’s side, I’m replacing it with an N.