Make my Bookcrossing Owl!

Registered by KawasakiBabe of Littletown, Liversedge, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/9/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 15, 2013
Woo hoo...or should that be woo hoot...I'm the first to JE an UnCon owl. Okay, I've an unfair advantage as it's only June but just wanted to say, KawasakiBabe these are BRILLIANT!! Love it :o)

Will endeavour to try & crochet a chain before I next see you, I just need to get my fingers under control (especially that pesky left index)........

This is what mine is supposed to look like!

Journal Entry 2 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 15, 2013
Pattern developed especially for Leeds' Bookcrossing Unconvention, September 2013, by KawasakiBabe.
At least 50 Owl Keyrings have been / will be given away to Bookcrossers: thank you for picking one up and logging its journey here.

If you like it, here's how to make your own . . .

CROCHETED OWL KEYRING.
3.00mm hook and thick yarn.
2 buttons and a scrap of felt.

Start with 5 ch, join with ss, 1ch.
Round 1: Work 6dc into round, join with ss, 1ch

(pull starting thread tight to gather up centre hole - you may find this easier to do if you work the loose thread under the first row of dc as you crochet the first round - it will tighten and gather up more easily)

Round 2: Work *1dc 1ch* into each dc of previous round, join with ss, 1ch.
Round 3: Work *2dc 1ch* into each 1ch space of previous round, join with ss, 1ch.
Round 4: Work *2dc* into each dc and each 1ch space of previous round, join with ss, 1ch.

EARS: 1dc, 2ch, 1 dtr, 2ch, 2dc. (Keyring loop): work 10ch then ss into last dc worked, work 1 more dc, then 1 ss, then 2ch, 1 dtr, 2ch, ss into next dc of previous round, fasten off - use threads to stitch up gaps in ears and shape them to a point.

EYES:
Work 6ch, join with ss, 1ch.
Work 8dc into loop
(catch in starting thread as before, to gather up centre hole tightly)
Join with ss, fasten off.
Stitch on buttons for eyes.

ch = chain stitch.
ss = slip stitch.
dc = double crochet (American and Australian = sc: single crochet)
dtr - double treble

GOOD LUCK!
Please add a photo - I'd love to see your owl in its new home!

Please also add a photo of your own owl.

(I love your pom-pom owl, P-c. Good luck with the chain stitch x)

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 16, 2013
Have been practising - chain growing nicely (but very messy!!) will seek further help after hols :o)

BCUK Unconvention 2013, Leeds, 27th - 29th September

Journal Entry 4 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 18, 2013
Another few owls ready to leave the nest! Look out for the postman, Fracula, Elskaliam, RitaO and LittleSuz.

Journal Entry 5 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 27, 2013
Yay! Birdie Whoo Hoo landed in Canada and my mailbox today! What a cool surprise, KawasakiBabe. I am totally tickled.

AND, making her extra special, she is purple with red, the colours I love and wear as a Red Hat Society lady!

So sorry I can't pay it forward, as crafts make me break out into hives, but Birdie Whoo Hoo will be greatly cherished! Thank you so much for send her my way!

Journal Entry 6 by KawasakiBabe at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (8/20/2013 UTC) at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom

Another owl leaving the nest - on its way over the border, to Lancashire!

JUST TO THANK YOU FOR VOTING FOR THIS BAG AS NUMBER ONE IN THE CRAFTY OWL COMPETITION: WOW!! NOT WON ANYTHING SINCE SCHOOL AGED 8 WHEN I WON FIRST PRIZE FOR THE STORY OF A TRIP TO LONDON . . . WON AN INKPEN WHEN I WANTED THE THIRD PRIZE OF A MASSIVE PACK OF COLOURED FELT TIPS. HO HUM.
ANYWAY . . THANK YOU FOR LOVING MY BAG X X X

Journal Entry 7 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Here's my motley selection...you'll need to click on the pic to see 'em a bit better (if you really want to!)

Journal Entry 8 by Sterile at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 24, 2013
I did actually receive this last weekend but with all things at the moment - it stayed on my desk for the entire week! I cannot help but admire the skill and sheer inventiveness that goes into something as pretty as this. Thanks for the owl, I'll bring it along to continue it's journey at the end of September. xx

Journal Entry 9 by ritao at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, September 05, 2013
Wow, what a lovely surprise! My brown owl took its time in arriving since I had moved since giving you my address, KawasakiBabe, but arrive it did yesterday. It fits perfectly in my bunch of keys, next to the delicious Cadbury chocolate keyring gotten from a friend as a souvenir from New Zealand. All in all, my keyes are in quite an international company! :)

Journal Entry 10 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/14/2013 UTC) at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Another owl leaving the nest - passing on to a non book-crosser, Happy Birthday Bev x

Another owl on its way . . bye bye little bird, enjoy your new home with melik90 x

Journal Entry 12 by Sterile at BCUK Unconvention 2013 in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/28/2013 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2013 in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sent on it's travels at the Uncon in Leeds 2013

Journal Entry 13 by KawasakiBabe at Millenium Square in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/27/2013 UTC) at Millenium Square in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

A parliament of 50 to leave the nest on Friday! Happy journeys, little birds, I'll miss having you around. x

Journal Entry 14 by woodsiegirl at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 28, 2013
Collected at Leeds UnConvention :)

Journal Entry 15 by wingApoloniaXwing at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 29, 2013
I also caught one at the UnCon!
Thanks a lot!

It must be a cousin of the one I once released at a Bremen Musicians sculpture (booklovers version, on the cat's wrist).

So this one will travel back to Bremen with me, rest there a while and then most probably go to another BCer.

(I named the owl Richard Nottingham, after some ficticious Constable of Leeds, ~1730)

Journal Entry 16 by wingDelticwing at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 29, 2013
I also caught one at the Uncon and so did Mrs D. Thank you very much.

Mine has got some flying to do soon!

Journal Entry 17 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 30, 2013

Behold the winner of the Bally Cup 2013!!

Well done mad mate you deserved it ;o)

Journal Entry 18 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, September 30, 2013
This little owl flew into my ''book bag'' at the Leeds Uncon too and seeing that I am going on holiday next week I know exactly where it's going next ! Watch this space

Journal Entry 19 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 30, 2013
Got my little owl at the Uncon. Lovely to meet you KawasakiBabe.

Journal Entry 20 by Beqi at Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 01, 2013
What a gorgeous little owl! He's lovely. Thank you so much, and what a fab idea :D

Journal Entry 21 by JoolsW at Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 01, 2013
I found this lovely little brown owl amongst all the other goodies in the 'Night at the Movies' raffle prize, which I won at the Unconvention in Leeds. I haven't crocheted for a hundred years or more, but I might be inspired to do something crafty to pay this little guy forward somehow.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 22 by wingBookAmblerwing at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/1/2013 UTC) at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom

Thank you for my lovely Leeds 'Wise Owl' raffle prize :o)

I have passed on your little owl to a fellow BCer but the Wise Owl is now watching over me!

Journal Entry 23 by booktwitcher at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 02, 2013
Lovely little owl and what a novel idea! I wish I could have been there. I think the owl may have found his resting place as I need a new keyring to replace my existing owl key ring. Thank you very much

Journal Entry 24 by katie1980 at BCUK Unconvention 2013, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 03, 2013
Thank you for my little owl! I will try to add a piccie *sometime* but I cannot promise when! I now just have to keep him out of the twins' little paws so he isn't damaged. Easier said than done, I'm sure!
Great idea. I would make some but I cannot crochet and don't have time to learn either. Still, I will treasure my owl from Leeds :) It was *lovely* to meet you, sweetie.

Journal Entry 25 by wingmiss_malihiniwing at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, October 07, 2013
Came across a very strange species today - the migrating owl!
I never met one before. "Woo-hoot" indeed.
Let's see, where it flies to from here...

Journal Entry 26 by melik90 at Laufen, Baselland Switzerland on Tuesday, October 08, 2013
What a lovely idea! Shame I can't knit! I might ask my mum tho.

Journal Entry 27 by wingPlum-crazywing at Plums Halloween Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/18/2013 UTC) at Plums Halloween Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

Another Ballyowl has flown the nest!

This one has hitched a ride with a Hallowe'en package to the winner of my Sixth Annual Hallowe'en Sweepstake * & he's even put on his wizards hat on in honour of the occasion - perhaps I should re-name him HallyOwl :o) He's got a little label saying he'd like to keep travelling so lets see how far he goes.....

(Pity the picture is a bit blurred but as he's flown off I can't re do it.)

*(edited to say that I can now reveal that was Hostile17)

Journal Entry 28 by BookGroupMan at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 21, 2013
Who knew, this little fella is a travelling book-thing...only just recovered from my Leeds Uncon goody bag. So after a few weeks in Suffolk I have to think of somewhere for his (her?) onward journey!

Journal Entry 29 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Thursday, October 24, 2013
Boo-Whoo has arrived safely in Osgood, Indiana USA.
He is simply adorable and since I told him that I collect key-rings he has hooted to me that he would like to make my house into his retirement home.
I told him that he is welcome to stay as long as he likes!

Journal Entry 30 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, October 25, 2013
Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!! I've kept forgetting to register my little owl, he is very happy here in Kent with me. He had a holiday on the Yorkshire coast before coming to live with me in Maidstone. If I ever master the art of putting photo's on here I will post some,but don't hold your breath.
It was lovely to meet you at the Uncon, it felt like I'd known you for ages :-)

Journal Entry 31 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, November 03, 2013
This lovely little owl was in my 'Leeds' raffle prize at the UnCon! When I was unpacking my case, my son (3 yrs) tried to make off with it, so I put it out of his reach, and then forgot where I'd put it. So, sorry for taking so long to journal it. Thank you very much, it was a lovely surprise!

Journal Entry 32 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, November 11, 2013
Woot! Miss_malihini handed me a little feathered friend at Saturday's meeting in Hilden, and I'm very much in love with this darling little pygmy owl. I'll take a picture of the pretty little guy in his new home, but in the mean time, I think I've recognised him in the picture to JE #13, where he is at the very right of the frame, so you can only just see his eyes. Thank you so much!!

Journal Entry 33 by wingghirwing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Richard Nottingham is in Honolulu, Hawaii, in November of 2013 (by way of ApoloniaX).

Journal Entry 34 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, November 24, 2013
Ghir's friend Richard Nottingham joined me after our BookCrossing gathering last weekend but I'm afraid I forgot to journal about him until now. He has gotten a little closer to Diamond Head and will spend a little time with me before flying off on a new adventure.

(Larger photo here.)

Journal Entry 35 by Tigerkeks at Braunschweig, Niedersachsen Germany on Tuesday, December 03, 2013
This little owl arrived yesterday together with an adventcalender from Dartqueen. She took it for me from the UnCon in Leeds.

Journal Entry 36 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 04, 2013
This one has joined some mates to form a parliament and is taking them all to Finland!

Parliament of Owls

Journal Entry 37 by suedo at Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, December 09, 2013
I am only just sorting out my bag from the uncon in Leeds and this was in it.
Sorry to take so long to let you know he arrived safe. Picture will follow (but possibly even more slowly than the JE)

Journal Entry 38 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 16, 2013
Mrs Deltic's owl is travelling with the RAF.

Bookcrossing owl

Journal Entry 39 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Ooops.... I've eaten an MP!! The Chocolate Owl was delicious :) RIP.
I love these migrating birdies. I know a perfect new home for them, but during the Christmas they'll hang in our Christmas tree.
Together with the owls landed a Red Robin card and a coaster, a Yorkshire Rose and a beautiful copy of Ring of Bright Water. And hidden between pages were really neat labels. A really lovely surprise, thank You Deltic. Your X-mas present is yet to be read - shame on me.

Journal Entry 40 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 18, 2013
The Owl has landed. Now in Derbyshire and but intend to have it flying off again early in the New Year.

Journal Entry 41 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 17, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/17/2014 UTC) at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom

This owl has left it a little late but is now flying South.

Journal Entry 42 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, January 18, 2014
Richard Nottingham is hitching a ride to the US midwest (by flying north and east) with a bouquet of lovely plant dolls. Fly far, little fellow!

To the recipient: you said you needed to take more photos, so here's an opportunity. ;)

(Plum-crazy, I love your little fuzzballs!)

Journal Entry 43 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, January 20, 2014
Thank you for the cute owl keyring!

Journal Entry 44 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 31, 2014
I received this cute little crocheted brown owl keychain from kirjakko for the 2014 Birthday RABCK. It arrived with an owl nail file and an owl card and other birthday goodies. Thanks kirjakko! I will keep my eyes open for owl items or crafts to pass forward.

Journal Entry 45 by Jonniboi at Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 15, 2014
Got this from Footymadgill as she is my birthday buddy. Got this with various BC supplies and 3 wishlist books. And a lot of other birthday prezzies.

This extremely cute owl will be hanging on my wall above my laptop, so every time I need a break from studying I can look up and see not only BC and it's amazingness but also my Grandma, who passed away a while ago, as owls were her favourite animals.

Thank you so much for this. A picture will follow when I can work out how to add one :)

Journal Entry 46 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 24, 2014
Wow. Cool. Found this in the Dolls Bookbox. He spent some time in Saint Paul Minnesota, and is moving on.

Journal Entry 47 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Framlingham, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, March 17, 2016
Found the book & owl and will leave somewhere interesting when finished

Journal Entry 48 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, March 25, 2016
This owl was passed to me by my brother in law in Framlingham. I live in Kettleburgh, not far from Framlingham, but our post code is Woodbridge. I am taking the owl, in suitable owl box, of course, down to Newhaven in Sussex this weekend, so he can continue his adventures.

Journal Entry 49 by muffywesley at Newhaven, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, March 06, 2017
The owl has been resting in Newhaven and now he is off to continue his travels around the world

Journal Entry 50 by tiggsybabes at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 29, 2017
Picked up at the uncon, taking on holiday with some bookcrossing books.

Journal Entry 51 by tiggsybabes at A little bit of rough in Uppingham, Rutland United Kingdom on Monday, May 29, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/29/2017 UTC) at A little bit of rough in Uppingham, Rutland United Kingdom

Taking with a few bookcrossing books.