Stand, The: American Nightmares (Volume 2)

Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 6/9/2013
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, June 16, 2013

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, August 19, 2013
This set of 6 graphic novels is off to travel the country as a bookray; see the forum thread or Volume 1 for more information.

First stop: Minnesota!

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, August 19, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/17/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Off and running!

Tracking #9114 9011 5981 5800 7956 56

4 lbs, 10.3 oz
Scheduled delivery date 9/06/13 but I won't hold my breath.

Journal Entry 4 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Excellent. I am reading these slowly from hyphen8's bookbox, and enjoying them. In 'American Nightmares' we start to see the people emerge from the shock and horror of a swift and 99% lethal flu.

The experience has already marked them, and some are stretching into new roles, others are hiding behind old ones.

Journal Entry 5 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/28/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Sending this off to the next person in the ring. Enjoy!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 6 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 24, 2013
I really liked the parts of the Trashcan Man! He is sick and crazy, but I enjoy him. On the other hand, I cannot stand with Harold, even with this illustration. Oh, boy... The scene that Larry was walking through the dark Lincoln tunnel was really good! I had never thought of the way of showing the fear. It was really a good technique. So, the person I'm going to meet in the next book is Tom, I guess.

Journal Entry 7 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/31/2013 UTC) at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA

Happy Halloween!
Mailed this box to the next reader.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 04, 2013
The six-volume set arrived today; many thanks! Will savor the horror, and get it moving again soon.

Later: Very effective and chilling continuation to the story, with full justice done to the Lincoln Tunnel sequence - I'd wondered if it would be less effective in illustrated form than in text, where one's imagination makes it worse, but the choices here worked out very well. We get to meet more key players, including Trashcan Man, whose back story helps explain his sad mental state. And the survivors are beginning to polarize into those who follow Flagg and those who are drawn to Mother Abigail.

This volume also includes some scenes that exemplify one of my favorite aspects of King's works, the little vignettes about what happened to other people, those who never became key characters at all. He did this in Salem's Lot, a few throwaway lines about secret crimes and tragedies in a small town, and he does it here, with some especially tragic deaths by people who survived the killer flu: the child who fell down an abandoned well was the most heart-wrenching, with others almost as sad - and with a few eliciting the dark-humored comment "no great loss".

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 11, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/12/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

The six-volume series will be on its way to its next stop, cinnycat in New York, on Tuesday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
thanks again, hyphen8! Twenty pages after my current book and I'll be starting these (probably also reading actual novels alongside them... hopefully it won't take too long. But the Neverwhere graphic novel took me ages to read because I loved it so much (my profile picture as evidence!)

Journal Entry 11 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Wednesday, December 11, 2013
The story continues with the survivors of the super flu. Flagg is haunting some nightmares - if you're good or evil, it doesn't matter. It seems anyone & everyone could be useful to him. I'm happy the trashcan man exists in The Stand since I love how fire looks in graphic novel form (again, my profile picture!) Again, thank you for sharing these, even if I'm slow-going with them!

Journal Entry 12 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Friday, January 10, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/10/2014 UTC) at Central Square, New York USA

Sent out today! thanks again!

Journal Entry 13 by jare at Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2014
All six volumes made it safely to FL today. Will get to them ASAP!

Journal Entry 14 by jare at Tampa, Florida USA on Saturday, April 05, 2014
Another excellent volume in the set! After getting to know the characters in book 1, this book focused on how some of them are starting to gather in groups, and we're starting to get glimpses of the dreams. Henried and Flagg are together now, Frannie and Harold have met Stu and are about to head to Stovington, Larry just lost Rita and is on his own, Nick is heading to Nebraska. Great artwork, and a great retelling of my favorite book ever!