Stand, The: Captain Trips (Volume 1)

Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 6/8/2013
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, June 09, 2013
Graphic interpretation of the Stephen King novel: this gorgeous hardcover edition is part one of six.

Picked this up secondhand and was impressed at how much of the story it brought back; I went in search of the other parts.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, June 16, 2013
Something goes very wrong at a secret government lab and people start getting sick. Everywhere.

This is Volume 1.

The story continues in:

Volume 2: American Nightmares
Volume 3: Soul Survivors
Volume 4: Hardcases
Volume 5: No Man's Land
Volume 6: The Night Has Come

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, August 19, 2013
This set of graphic novels is going out as a bookray: the Walkin' Dude doesn't like to stay in one place for too long!

These are pretty much my standard bookring/ray instructions:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the books so we know they got to you safely.

2. VOLUNTARY - let's see if anyone reads this part! ;) If you're willing, please PM hyphen8 for my address and send me a postcard with some interesting stamps on it for my mom the stamp collector, especially if you're not in the US.

3. Read the set and send it on within 2 months - or make a journal entry to let us know how it's going if you need to keep the books longer. I realize that sometimes life gets in the way of BookCrossing, but please keep us posted on what's happening.

4. Make journal entries when you've finished - tell us what you thought!

5. Check back here to make sure the mailing order hasn't changed, then PM the next person in line for an address. Even if you've mailed something to that person before, please double-check their mailing info and make sure they're still interested and able to participate.

6. Use whatever shipping method works best for you: since the set weighs over 4 pounds, I recommend media mail. Delivery confirmation/tracking is strongly encouraged.

Current order (subject to change):
*PLEASE* check before sending to the next person!

quietorchid (Minnesota)
imuzak12 (Virginia)
GoryDetails (New Hampshire)
cinnycat (New York)
jare (Florida) <-- here!

?? You ??

If you see a known staller on any of my rings/rays, please send me a PM.

If you'd like to join in, please post in the forum thread and send me a PM with your location and mailing preferences.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, August 19, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/17/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Off and running!

Tracking #9114 9011 5981 5800 7956 56

4 lbs, 10.3 oz
Scheduled delivery date 9/06/13 but I won't hold my breath.

Journal Entry 5 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 09, 2013
This is amazing. The Stand is a great book; good versus evil and the cost of deciding to be human. Having said that, the idea of trying to make King's complexity of ideas and people into a graphic novel is astounding. The Chutzpah!

So far so good. We are introduced to some of the main characters, and get to like a few, and Flagg creeps us out. The artwork is astounding. One quibble-I thought Redman would look better. I really like Sinese in the mini-series (although I always thought Redman would be...umm. taller?). Here, the artist tends to like all male characters with 5-10 extra lbs on their bones. Most of the females are of course quite shapely. Oh well.

Journal Entry 6 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/28/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Sending this off to the next person in the ring. Enjoy!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 7 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Friday, October 04, 2013
I received this big, heavy box today. Thank you, hyphen8 and quietorchid!

They are amaaaazing! All pages in full color and a larger page size. Because I'm from Japan, I've read tons of manga in my life, but this one is my first graphic novel to read, from outside of Japan. These books are so cool, and this one doesn't look like a secondhand book. I guess the former owner loved it very much. I'm looking forward to reading them.

Like quietorchid did, I'll make a first journal for each book when I start reading.

Journal Entry 8 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 24, 2013
It took a little time to get used to how to read, from a scene to the next. (Because all the manga I've read in my life are written in Japanese, so those are read from right to left.) Those dead bodies are so disgustingly good (if there is such expression:p). Yeah, Captain Trips caused flu-like symptom, so I guess it should be like that... While I really liked how Flagg looked like, I was not sure about Stu, like quietorchid. I can't wait to meet the Trashcan Man.

Journal Entry 9 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/31/2013 UTC) at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA

Happy Halloween!
Mailed this box to the next reader.
USPS Tracking Number: 9114901159818392694796

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 04, 2013
The six-volume set arrived today; many thanks! Will savor the horror, and get it moving again soon. (I love the details in the cover-art, with the full-fold-out panorama view making it especially terrifying!)

Later: It's been some time since I last read the novel OR saw the mini-series, but it was such a powerful story that it's stayed with me. The graphic novel did an excellent job of abridging the original while retaining the essence of the story, with the illustrations enhancing it. And while I did find myself noticing which characters looked the least like their mini-series representations {wry grin} I didn't mind the changes. [Some of the graphic-novel pages used methods not possible in print or on screen, such as the sequence showing the spread of the plague; the panels are spattered with spreading viruses, an unnerving way to reinforce the image.] Good start to the story!

I also enjoyed the supplemental material, with the comments on character choices and such.

[There's an extensive TV Tropes page on the novel and mini-series, with some interesting and entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 11 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 11, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/12/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

The six-volume series will be on its way to its next stop, cinnycat in New York, on Tuesday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
They have arrived!! Thank you SO MUCH hyphen8 for starting these on their way! I would have had no idea they existed and The Stand is one of my favorites... certainly my favorite King. I must say in my limited experience with graphic novels, this artwork is amazing. I'm glad to see someone wants to read these after I do... my shelves are creaking. :D I won't say much in the other journal entries until I read them...

Journal Entry 13 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Monday, December 02, 2013
I'm just finishing the first volume now, so at this rate I won't be done until after the holidays (which is a good thing, in case the box decides to get lost in the mail with all those packages). Anyway...

Volume one is great! The artwork is amazing and almost too vivid on certain pages. I've seen a few graphic novels, and the artwork doesn't even compare to this (with most graphic novels). The story of volume one mostly involves the spread of Captain Trips & the introduction of The Walkin Dude Randall Flagg. Looking forward to the other volumes... onward...

Journal Entry 14 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Friday, January 10, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/10/2014 UTC) at Central Square, New York USA

Finally sent out with delivery confirmation. So sorry for the wait! thanks so so much again for allowing others to read these (and really I don't think I would have known about their existence without your post about them!)

Journal Entry 15 by jare at Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2014
All six volumes arrived safe and sound today! Can't wait to dive into these!

Journal Entry 16 by jare at Tampa, Florida USA on Friday, April 04, 2014
I apologize for taking so long to getting around to reading these. Working my way through the series now!

I will start off here by saying that I am a huge fan of The Stand. It is my number one favorite book of all time! I had high hopes for the graphic novel series based on the book. Those hopes, as far as this first book goes, have not been let down! Great artwork, and the story, as always, is such a pleasure to revisit! In this book, we are introduced to some of our core characters, including Flagg. We get to see the beginning of the end of the world as Captain Trips starts to spread.