Affair of the Mutilated Mink, The (Burford Family Mysteries 2)

by James Anderson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by asia_be_es of Warszawa, Mazowieckie Poland on 6/8/2013
Journal Entry 1 by asia_be_es from Warszawa, Mazowieckie Poland on Saturday, June 08, 2013
From the cover:
The Earl of Burford can't believe his luck; the famous actor Rex Ransom wants to film his next feature at Alderley, the family's beautiful country estate. Somewhat less enthusiastic is the Countess, who suddenly finds herself hosting an impromptu house party for the incoming Hollywood crowd. It's almost too much for poor Merryweather, the family's imperturbable butler, to cope with. And that's before there's a murder in the dead of night...
By morning Inspector Wilkins is cast in the unlikely role of hero, as he tiptoes through the evidence and endeavours to unravel thoroughly baffling mystery... and work out just what a mutilated mink coat has to do with anything.

I bought it in Legionowo (Poland). And I really enjoyed reading - something quite different from the modern novels: no blood and gory details.

Journal Entry 2 by asia_be_es at Legionowo, Mazowieckie Poland on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (11/27/2013 UTC) at Legionowo, Mazowieckie Poland

My books love travelling to Płock :) NowINkA here's another one.

Journal Entry 3 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Hahaha! Potraktuję ją jako prezent na Mikołajki ;) i choć pewnie trochę poleży na półce zanim po nią sięgnę, to na pewno przeczytam i puszczę w dalszą podróż. A tak na marginesie dodam, że choć nie należy po niej oceniać książki, to ta retro okładka jest super!

Journal Entry 4 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Sunday, December 29, 2013
A quick but delightful read, funny at times. Looks like a part of a (three books) series (but each one can be read separately) so I'll definitely check the other two if I get a chance. Thank you again asia_be_es, you seem to know exactly what books I do enjoy :)

Journal Entry 5 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/3/2014 UTC) at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland

Sent as a RABCK to kirjakko in Finland. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 08, 2014
The Mutilated Mink arrived safe and sound. Will try to read soon, there is a looong queue...

Journal Entry 7 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Gosh, how time flies when you are reading... I picked this up from the book piles as the topic has been on the news lately - was it some 15-17 million minks they killed in Denmark (all they had) as they had caught and transmitted the dreaded corona virus. Will comment as I proceed.

Pic: I have no pictures of minks, but these are some of the foxes our national poet Mr Runeberg shot over hundred years ago. Nature strikes back, he got a brain stroke while hunting and was never able to write anything more.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 30, 2020
One third read, nobody has died yet and I'm really enjoying the wit and humour of the book. I'm sure I must have lived in one of those magnificent British country houses in a previous life, I so like the atmosphere.

Pic: Highclere Castle, also known as Downton Abbey.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 30, 2020
Pic: I've really gotten into the spirit of the book...

Journal Entry 10 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 01, 2021
Happy New Year, Poland! Half way through the book, I think I know who the culprit is, not however the motive. Still enjoying the read very much.

Pic: Castle Howard, also known as Brideshead.

Journal Entry 11 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 03, 2021
The Earl of Burford isn’t the only one with a gun collection.

Pic: A rifle from the Wallace Collection.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 03, 2021
Pic: The Wallaces collected also art.

Journal Entry 13 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 03, 2021
I'd love to have my wedding reception at the famous Claridge's.

Journal Entry 14 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 03, 2021
Finished! What a plot! Can't say more not to spoil anything, but I will definately want to read the other two books of this series. And I might want to put this in my PC for a while.
I am also taking part of the Helmet-challenge with this book - 31: a mystery.

Journal Entry 15 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, February 26, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/20/2021 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

My old friend and collegue from the Academic Bookstore (from 34 years ago) has been mainly sitting at home, practicing social distancing, for about a year now. She longed for something new to read and I took her a bagful of books.

Journal Entry 16 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, February 26, 2021
This has everything that a good mystery should have: It happens in the countryside, is not too scary and is full of wit and humour!
They don't write books like this anymore. Thank you for lending it to me!