Round Ireland with a Fridge

by Tony Hawks | Travel |
Registered by weebly of Hartwell, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on 12/11/2003
Journal Entry 1 by weebly from Hartwell, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 11, 2003
Had to buy this in the charity shop after seeing how many copies Lucycat has bought to share and how much she loves the book.

Will be on TBR pile for a while - but then destined for RABCK or release.

Journal Entry 2 by weebly from Hartwell, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2003
Enjoyed this book - gave me a few sniggers while convalescing. Made me want to visit ireland although not neccesarily accompanied by a large white kitchen appliance. I have been to Dublin for the best hen night I even went to - 12 girls dressed as school girls - even an ambulance stopped to chat us up - but I would like to explore South. When I read extracts to my Mum she had fond memories saying 'camped there - and there'

My Dad and friend Bebbie would like to read this - lets see if they can journal it themsleves !! Then this will be made available to person who shouts quickest and shoots the straightest arm in the air!

This has been requeted by violetaparra so when I get it back from my family I will send it over.

Journal Entry 3 by weebly at RABCK in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 27, 2004
Released on Friday, February 27, 2004 at RABCK in n/a, RABCK Controlled Releases.

My friends and family have read the book. Bebbie and my Dad really enjoyed it. My Mum tried it but couldn't get on with it - so she returned it to me.

Off across the pond as a RABCK - I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by violetaparra from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 31, 2004
I've never seen Tony Hawks do comedy, which presumably is his profession, but never mind that. This book of his is howlingly funny. I read it on my commute to and from work, where people stared at me as I giggled, snorted, and generally made all sorts of other non-commuter-appropriate noises while I read it. It's also a great intro to some of what is truly wonderful about Irish culture: an appreciation for the bizarre, an appreciation for people's company, and some really wonderful vocabulary (it took me a good 100 words to figure out what the actual spelling of 'eejit' is). Hawks's self-deprecating humor combines with his outsider-turned-superstar status as Fridge Man to paint a warm picture of modern Ireland and the joys of the fridge philosophy.

Weebly, thanks so much for sending this book across the water to me-- somehow it fits with the general silliness of it all that your copy travelled all the way here for me to read! Where shall we send it next?

Journal Entry 5 by violetaparra from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Next it's back across various bodies of water for our little paperback fridge, as it (did they ever determine what gender it was?) travels to the Netherlands. Have fun, Biba89!

Journal Entry 6 by violetaparra from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2004
Finally, the fridge continues on to the Nederlands. Have a fine trip, little fridge! Watch out for eejits!

Journal Entry 7 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, May 10, 2004
Thank you, Weebly and Violetaparra, I just finished a book this morning so I can start reading right away! And we will beware of the eejits.
Mind you, for those of you who have been introduced to Irish speak, you might want to continue this lovely banter with some of Roddy Doyle's novels, of which most have been been into film. Especially worthwhile are The Van, the Snapper and of course, the Commitments. With an abundancy of kitchen appliances, and in The Van they are travelling, too!
Youy will hear shortly about my findings with the traveling fridge-of-undetermined-gender.

Journal Entry 8 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, May 12, 2004
I have read it in one day! It was deeply satisfying, utterly amusing, very readable and made me want to go to Ireland this instant. The Irish culture seems to harbour a general appreciation for people doing silly and outrageous things, just for the fun of it.
The appreciation was expressed in all the unexpected kindness, generosity and hospitality Tony encountered on the way around Ireland. A bit like bookcrossing, really. He made it, his bet, and the fridge even went surfing, too.
i will promote this wonderful book on the Dutch forum, see if i can make it into a ring.

Journal Entry 9 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Allright, there are applicants for this appliance already. This book will travel around the Netherlands and who knows even further, hitch-hiking along with officers from the postal service.
Moem is first.
Arja=> has it now
Frakke-per
Laui
and back to me.

Journal Entry 10 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, June 12, 2004
Klaartje, here it comes! Finally!

Journal Entry 11 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, June 14, 2004
Ahh, the Fridge ring is here! Looks like I'm going to enjoy this one. Thank you, Biba!

Journal Entry 12 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, July 03, 2004
This one made me laugh out loud. Not many books do that.
Great fun.

Journal Entry 13 by silvertje from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, July 15, 2004
Received this book in the mail while I was on a holiday. I'm currently reading it. Not ROFL-ing yet, but it's ok.

Journal Entry 14 by silvertje from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 19, 2004
Uhm, I didn't enjoy this book as much as its previous readers. In fact it didn't make me laugh at all. It might have been Tony's humour which is probably not my kind of humour at all.
I totally agree with Klaartje's comment "Tony may have to rethink his attitude towards women, though. Or they'll never call him back." hahaha!

The book did confirm my feelings that I will have to visit Ireland in the near future. It's not that far away, and it certainly doesn't rain that much more than here :) It sounds like a wonderful country.

Off to its next reader.

Journal Entry 15 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 20, 2004
Arrived just in time before the next meeting in Deventer..so i can hand it over to the next reader in line. The pictures on the cover look very funny. I'll start reading tonight..Thanks Silvertje

Journal Entry 16 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, July 22, 2004
Finished it already! It was a funny book. Thanks for making this a bookring. its travelling to Plinius today.

Journal Entry 17 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 24, 2004
I forgot all about this ring, a real surprisepacket, thank you Gala!

Journal Entry 18 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 04, 2004
I liked this book. I enjoyed the descriptions of the Irish and their reactions to the fridge adventure.
And I agree with Klaartje about Tony's attitude. But nobody calls back a stray tomcat, unless looking for trouble.
This goes to Croixdeguerre

Journal Entry 19 by KVI-716666 on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
What a nice surprise finding this book when coming home from France! And thanks Plinius for the lovely card....

Journal Entry 20 by KVI-716666 on Saturday, August 14, 2004
I'm so sorry, but I'm going to pass this book on to the next person, without reading it. My mount TBR is enormous.... Sorry, sorry

Journal Entry 21 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Tuesday, August 17, 2004
Well, my mount TBR is also huge and why oh why do bookrings always arrive at the same time?! I've been to Ireland twice; in a Volkswagen camper about 11 years ago, traveling from Belfast along the north, west and south coast to Cork, enjoyed it very much (especially because it was my first true vacation with my boyfriend)!!; and one year ago to Dublin, also very nice! (with the same boyfriend :-))
Looking forward to read the book, don't know when yet, I really need a vacation to read read read... As soon as possible of course.

Journal Entry 22 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Thursday, September 16, 2004
This book was hilarious! Very funny and absurd. I think Ireland is about the only country were you can pull off such a stunt; I found it incredible how people would offer him free drinks, lunches and a place to stay!
I liked his humour very much (the way he describes his adventures) and the book made me laugh out loud at times. His love for Ireland seems genuine, though I thought the last chapter was a bit over the top, almost too sentimental.
All in all, a very enjoyable and readable book and it definitely makes me want to go back to Ireland this instance! For now, this book is going to Willemijn today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by Willemijn from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, September 25, 2004
Sorry, sorry, ik heb dit boek al een week in huis en nu pas een melding.
Ik ben er gelijk in begonnen. Heerlijk!
O, gosh, took a glance below and see that the entries are in English...

I'm ever so sorry, I got this book more than a week ago and waited untill today to post an entry. I started the book right away. It's fun!
But life got me tightly in its grip, these days. No time to read at all. However, this book will be read some day soon. I hope.

Thanks very much for sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by Willemijn from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, October 29, 2004
Maaike zie ik morgen en ik zou graag van deze ring af. Niet omdat het me geen leuk boek lijkt, maar mijn tbr is gewoon té hoog en dit boek blijft maar goede tweede. Dat kan zo nog maanden duren. En er zijn nog zoveel achter me. Ik hoop dat ik in mag breken in de volgorde: als Maaike nu kriskras bedient, komt het allemaal weer terecht.
Happy travel, fridge-book!

Journal Entry 25 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, October 31, 2004
Willemijn gave me the book at a wonderful Halloweenparty with lots of alluring books that all whispered 'take me home, take me home'. Of course, I couldn't resist them, so Mount TBR threatens to topple over now. But first, I'll have to read my ringbooks. I have three or four (I don't dare to look) waiting, so this one will have to wait a little before I'll take it for a ride. It must be used to that by now, being a hitchhiker.

Journal Entry 26 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, November 08, 2004
I leafed through the book this weekend, but I'm not in the mood for funny books. I have decided to send it on. Sorry!

Journal Entry 27 by Twinfather from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 12, 2004
Aangekomen in Gouda. Wellicht dat Mumtotwins het eerder gaat lezen. Kan ook makkelijk, want we wonen samen.

Journal Entry 28 by mumtotwins from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 05, 2005
I liked the book, though not as much as I expected/hoped. I guess Tony Hawks is funnier on TV than as a writer.

Twinfather heeft besloten het book niet te lezen, dus kan hij door naar de volgende: Powerhouse.

Journal Entry 29 by powerhouse from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, January 06, 2005

Journal Entry 30 by powerhouse from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, January 06, 2005
It's one of those weeks: the books keep pouring in. Blissful bookcrossing! This one has to wait a bit I'm afraid, although I could do with something 'howlingly funny' as violetaparra puts it. Thanks everyone! PS: just noticed kriskras was skipped, I'll send it to her first after finishing.

Journal Entry 31 by powerhouse from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, March 19, 2005
Well, Mr. Powerhouse read it and thought it was hilariously funny. He kept reading aloud what he thought were the most funny parts so I guess I already got an impression that is quite satisfactory. I will therefore not read it myself, but send it on to EmEli.

Journal Entry 32 by EmEli from Voorschoten, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 22, 2005
I received the book this afternoon and immediately started reading. I really liked 'Playing the Moldovans at Tennis', Tony's other book, and this one seems promising so far. Thanks!

Journal Entry 33 by EmEli from Voorschoten, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Just finished the book and I loved it. Chuckled my way through this bizarre trip! I really hope that one day Tony'll take on another crazy bet and write a book about it. ;-)

Edit: I will send the book to kriskras.

Journal Entry 34 by kriskras from Boxtel, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, April 04, 2005
Tony and his fridge savely arrived on Saturday morning. I'm going to make my own round of Ireland in July - instead of a fridge I'm taking my husband though ;-) - so I'm really curious to read about Tony's adventures. Thanks!

Journal Entry 35 by kriskras from Boxtel, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, May 08, 2005
It took me a while, but yesterday I finally found the time to read about Tony's trip. The book is laugh-out-loud funny, Tony has a gift of describing the people he meets in a hilarious way, without making a monkey out of them. I appreciate that!

Journal Entry 36 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, May 23, 2005
It seems that Tony and the Fridge have woven their route through the ring list and came back to me. Only to be requested again, by Arja. I will see to it that they get there safe and sound, albeit a little battered. Just like the fridge, I reckon.

Journal Entry 37 by DTH-272697 on Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Can't wait to read this, but will probably have to--until I return from the US in 5 weeks. If I weren't trying to get other BC books read so I can release them in the States, I would, of course, drop everything and read it right now--the temptation to do just that is great, but I will resist. I know an Irish woman who, if she hasn't already, would probably get a kick out of this. Maybe I'll loan it to her while I'm gone--I keep trying to make a BookCrosser out of her--but so far, no interest. This might do the trick. Thanks, biba!

Journal Entry 38 by DTH-272697 on Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Oh come on. Who am I fooling? I'm never going to finish this book. Although I find Tony Hawks a funny witty man on the BBC, I just never really got into this book--plodding through the first few pages felt like carrying around a refrigerator on my back. So at last, I've finally pushed it out the door to Arja, the next person in the ring. Terribly sorry to have held up the ring for so long.
N. B. Nothing like reading previous journal entries AFTER submitting my own. Guess there must be something wrong with me (and Silvertje . . .). Everyone else seemed to find it hilarious. If it ever crosses my path again I'll give it another try.

Journal Entry 39 by Arja from Hilversum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, February 28, 2007
yay, another ring book on my door mat. it will join its friends on Mt TBR for a bit, until I find the time to read it.

Journal Entry 40 by Arja from Hilversum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
great sense of humour, had a good time reading this book!

Journal Entry 41 by Frakke-Per from Rottumerzijl, Groningen Netherlands on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Wow -this is an old one! It was the first ring I subscribed to and in the mean time I happened to find the Dutch translation in my local charity shop, which a read for a year ago. That book was a pocket without pictures, so I will browse through the book a bit and then send it along to the next reader.

Journal Entry 42 by Frakke-Per at on Monday, August 27, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (8/27/2007 UTC) at

Op naar het zuiden.

Journal Entry 43 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Gevangen! Frakke-Per, bedankt voor het opsturen. Ga 'm binnenkort lezen.

Journal Entry 44 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, December 10, 2007
It's absolutely brilliant and very, very hilarious. I really enjoyed reading it and at least now I know which one of them had sex (read the cover). I just couldn't help picturing the fridge in some kinky lingerie! (Still can't help it, I can't wait to see a picture of that, now!)

Thanks very much for sharing this extraordinary book! I'll be sending it back to Biba a.s.a.p!

Journal Entry 45 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, December 29, 2007
The fridge & Tony have arrived back in my place, after some considerable journeying through the Netherlands. Let's see if I can find a new destination for them.

Journal Entry 46 by biba89 at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, January 14, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/20/2011 UTC) at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands

Naar de OBCZ in het Meester Geertshuis.

Journal Entry 47 by Madamemikmak68 at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Gevonden in OBCZ de Ulebelt: meegenomen vanwege de hilarische titel! Ga het zsm lezen.
Found in Deventer: took the book with me because of the hilarious title. Look forward te reading it soon.