Hiroshima

by John Hersey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingminesaynwing of Huron, Ohio USA on 5/31/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingminesaynwing from Huron, Ohio USA on Friday, May 31, 2013
Purchased from the Friends of the Huron Public Library's pre-sale culling of books to raise funds for the library.

From the back cover: On August 6, 1945, Hiroshima was destroyed by the first atom bomb ever dropped on a city. This book, John Hersey's journalistic masterpiece, tells what happened on that day. Told through the memories of survivors, this timeless, powerful and compassionate document has become a class "that stirs the conscience of humanity" (The New York Times).
Almost four decades after the original publication of this celebrated book, Hersey went back to Hiroshima in search of the people whose stories he told. His account of what he discovered about them is now the eloquent and moving final chapter of Hiroshima.

Journal Entry 2 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 18, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (4/18/2015 UTC) at Huron, Ohio USA

"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

Sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!
I have either registered it, or received it from another person who is willing to share it, too. Consider logging onto www.bookcrossing.com and letting us know where it is been and where it is going next. It can be done anonymously or join the site as a member.

Given to a Book Exchange member to read.

Journal Entry 3 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015
Returned to me...still to be read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Thursday, March 04, 2021
A nonfiction book about the dropping of the A-bomb on Hiroshima and what happened then to the citizens including the aftereffects on six survivors even forty years later. This is the expanded edition.

I remember all too well a few of my high school classmates giving the oral book reports on this book (basically because it was so short). Some of the descriptions were rather gruesome, and I vowed never to read it because of the gruesome details. Either the students focused upon these details or after seeing the events of 9/11, nothing could outdo those atrocities because I didn't notice an overabundance of horrible descriptions.

This was a buddy read with book_drunkard.

Journal Entry 5 by wingminesaynwing at Decatur, Alabama USA on Saturday, April 10, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (4/10/2021 UTC) at Decatur, Alabama USA

"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

Sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!

Via Media mail...because looking at your wish list, books about WWII seems to predominate so hoping you will enjoy this; however, if it is not to your taste, please pass it on.

Journal Entry 6 by Stephario at Decatur, Alabama USA on Friday, April 16, 2021
Thank you for the surprise book! Looking forward to giving it a go.