The Gentleman From Finland: Adventures On The Trans-siberian Express

by Robert M. Goldstein | Unknown |
Registered by Stephario of Decatur, Alabama USA on 5/31/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Stephario from Decatur, Alabama USA on Friday, May 31, 2013
Ordered this one from BetterWorldBooks.com for the winner of my son's 2013 Birthday RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by Stephario at Decatur, Alabama USA on Saturday, June 01, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/31/2013 UTC) at Decatur, Alabama USA

This shipped out from BetterWorldBooks.com today as part of the birthday RABCK I held in my son's honor in April. It, along with the extra book I ordered, should arrive in "7-14 business days." Enjoy, and thanks for entering my RABCK!!

Journal Entry 3 by Arvores at Viana do Castelo, Viana do Castelo Portugal on Thursday, June 20, 2013
And here it is, safe and sound! :)
I can't wait to put my eyes into this one. But it will still have to wait for a while.
Thank you! I really appreciate your generosity.

Warm greetings.

Journal Entry 4 by Arvores at Viana do Castelo, Viana do Castelo Portugal on Sunday, August 31, 2014
Not as interesting as I wished it would be. But a nice summer reading, anyway.
It's now traveling to Finland, after the "wish list tag game". It sounds like the perfect place to go :-)

Warm greetings!

Journal Entry 5 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Thank you, I'm looking forward reading this - travel stories are always interesting!

Journal Entry 6 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Sunday, March 01, 2015
I liked this a lot - describtion of Russia couple of decades ago, the customs, the way of life, which is now mostly transformed to a more modern one. I liked the humour and the style of this book, and it made me want to take a long train trip myself too.

Now sending forward :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, March 05, 2015
The book is here, thank you! Trans-Siberian is one of the (many) trips that I still plan to do some day, so will look forward to reading this :)

** reserved for kirjakko

Journal Entry 8 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, November 05, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/5/2015 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

I found this quite an excellent read! I imagine train travel in Russia involving some absurd situations still today, not to even mention in the Soviet times. Also, his ordeal of checking in to a hotel in Novosibirsk reminded me vividly about my own, much more recent check-in problems in Chisinau, Moldova... After being yelled at, ignored and left to wait for over an hour I did eventually get a room (even without the help of a cleaning lady), but after a looong train ride to get there it wasn't my favourite moment.

The book will travel on to kirjakko as soon as I find a 'courier' (or get tired of waiting & just send it by mail...)

Journal Entry 9 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, November 15, 2015
Wow! I had forgotten all about this. Looks interesting and it seems to be signed by the author as well! This trip is why my brother learned Russian already as a school boy. He hasn't done the trip so far (at 60), but has translated books from Russian, so something useful came out of the dream anyhow.

Journal Entry 10 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Making more than mental notes. I've tagged Poodlesister with this book. Will read it before March, when I'm off to see Jeremy Irons live 😍😍😍.
Oh yes, and Poodlesister, too.

Journal Entry 11 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 06, 2018
The writer is the same vintage as my brother, 1955. Perhaps people born on that year have a longing to travel to Siberia. Sakirmo might be a bit younger, though.
Ilka, the helpful male Finn should of course be Ilkka. Foreigners often have problems with our double consonants (not Arvores, I'm sure). Ilka is a German female, probably not helpful at all.
I am just starting the chapter "Colonel" which brought back memories of my one and only visit to a party at the then Soviet embassy in Helsinki. I live in the neighbourhood and had got to know a Russian couple who worked there and had a yellow labrador retriever, Aura. All other Russian dog owners avoided talking to Finnish dog owners, but Slava and Katja (short of Katarina) often walked with a bunch of us and wanted to learn more about dogs, labradors in particular. Slava's Finnish was very good, with Katja you had to guess what she was saying. Their time in Finland was coming to an end and they were returning home.
I was at work when I heard part of a curious phone conversation.
"Who? This is a veterinary clinic. You want to speak to whom? I don't understand. Who?"
In the end she said it is probably for me, some foreigner. It was Katja, explaining that they were having a small farewell party and would like me to come as well. They would like to give me a card and could I come to the park in the evening. I agreed and wondered how many clinics she had called from the yellow pages before finding the clinic where I worked. I didn't ask what the card was for if I was going to see them anyway, but with Katja's Finnish it was better to wait and see.
It was a printed invitation to a party at the Soviet embassy!! Addressed to Neiti Kaisa (Miss Kaisa), as they didn't know my last name. Five other dog owners were invited as well.
I forgot to take my specs when I went to the party as I don't use specs at home. The party was in the old embassy building, which is rather grand. I would not call it a small party, although without specs I had difficulties recognizing people. We dog owners stayed together like lost sheep and the others told me which politicians they saw. Ilkka Kanerva and Erkki Tuomioja were there, but can't remember who else, my interest in politics is not very big. Slava and Katja merely said "Hi and welcome", but they had to entertain their other - more important - guests. That is when the military stepped in. One at a time elderly army officers approached us, medals clinging (like the Colonel in the book had had), asked how we were and gave each of us their calling cards. I don't know if this was customary, but we of course didn't have cards to give and even if I had had a card I'm not sure I would have wanted to give it to the Red Army...
A few days later I run into Slava in the park and asked if he liked going back home. He said:
"Well, home is always home, but who would want to return to a country where nothing works, where politics suck and which has no food."
I was a bit surprised by his openess as this was still a time when we were only guessing that things weren't as rosy as the facade the Russians were trying to hold up. And there was no freedom of speach, this sort of comment would have meant big trouble for him had the rumour spread.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 07, 2018
What a wise man Dad was. He was the one who told my brother to learn Russian first before even thinking of travelling to Siberia. They made a deal, Dad promised to pay for his trip if my brother learned Russian well enough. By the time he did, he had also learned that what little of Siberia was shown to a tourist wasn't what he had wanted to see. And later on he had family and other ties, so he never got round making the trip. We might even have relatives there, as some members from my family tree were deported there due to bad behaviour at the end of the 19th century, when Finland was still part of Russia. And my nephew is married to a woman whose great-uncle and his family were deported there after WW2. They were from Inkeri and had fled to Finland during the war. Stalin wanted everybody from Inkeri returned to Russia and promised they will have their houses and land back. The great-uncle swallowed the bait and returned with his family, all of whom were transported to Siberia right away, never even seeing their old home again. His brother, the grandfather of this lady who is married to my nephew, went into hiding in Finland and in the end was let to stay here. Six years ago my nephew and his wife took the train and went to China through Siberia and met Siberian cousins once removed whom they had found from facebook. They spoke some English, they parents none and the gullible great-uncle had already died. None of them spoke Finnish.
Unlike Chania, I am very happy I can read about the trip in my own warm bed, not having to face Russian hospitality and so called food. I have never been to Russia, I am not likely to travel there voluntarily, but I have met Russians working in customer service in Estonia - you would think Winter War was still on by their happy faces and kind words.

It is hilarious that they think Bob is Finnish! And I can clearly picture the conversation between Bob and the hotel receptionist, who told him to stop speaking Finnish and then accused him for not being able to speak English!

Journal Entry 13 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 10, 2018
I have just realized who Bob looks like - Manuel from Fawlty Towers.
The guide at Lake Baikal gives them false info. Lake Saimaa is also a lake with seals - nerpas - living in it. The gentleman from Finland should have corrected him...
Bob keeps repeating "freshwater lake". I first thought him a moron, as even small kids know that seas have salt and lakes do not, but then I remembered the old Lucky Luke cartoon "Salt Lake City". Perhaps there is a salty lake in the US and he wants to point out to fellow Americans that Baikal was not only deep, but also a freshwater lake.

Pic: Faulty Towers Dining Experience, London 2019. Manuel on the left, Bob looked more like the original Manuel.

Journal Entry 14 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 11, 2018
Finished. The book was getting worse towards the end. Travel tiredness showed also in the writing.
I do remember the time when people travelling to the USSR or Estonia took extra pairs of blue jeans and nylon stockings along to perk up their travel budget, but as stated also here, the ruble shops had nothing worth buying and in the tourist shops you had to have foreign currency. Vodka and Russian champagne (which should not be called champagne at all, but tell that to Russians) from the black market was almost the only thing one could buy. And sometimes people went blind having bought black market vodka which was made of alcohol not meant for human consumption. Apart from selling stockings they should also be given to the old ladies superwising your floor at the hotel.
Mom had a friend who tried to help some Estonians she knew by taking clothes and some household things over, but people there thought that westerners lived like kings and had money up to their eyeballs. They were able to see Finnish television and their authorities claimed that K-market's Väiski was merely western propaganda, Finns didn't have anything more in their shops than Estonians. They knew that wasn't true, so they actually believed buying anything advertised on telly was no big deal for us and began to ask Mom's friend to bring them a washing-machine or a car. So what started out as a well-meant help left everybody unhappy - the helper thought her effort was not appreciated and those who had received nice enough parcels thought she was a miser.
Yesterday I visited a friend of mine in her eighties, who used to work at the English pocket book department of the Academic Bookstore. She told me that one day a small man came to her and asked if they had The Last Grain Race by Eric Newby.
"Indeed we do", she said. "It is sold out from the publisher, but we still have two copies. Then she went on explaining him the plot and that the ship he had sailed on was Finnish and blaa blaa."
Having told him all that the man smiled and shook her hand.
"I'm delighted to meet somebody who knows my book so well. I am Eric Newby." He then apologised for being a bit hung-over from spending the previous night with men from the Intourist office. He had contacted them telling he wanted to ride the Trans-Siberian railway and write a book about it. They now saw face to face and he was told what he cannot do during the trip. He said that he won't be permitted to get out of the train almost anywhere and the list of other not-to-dos was as long as his arm.
He made that trip in 1977 and wrote a book about it (Bob mentiones his book a couple of times) and I borrowed it from my friend. I already have Paul Theroux's The Great Railway Bazaar, so I will no doubt return to Siberia from the warmth of my bed in the future as well.
I used to interrail when I was young and usually I travelled through Europe as fast as I could (three days non-stop) and spent most of the month riding trains in Britain. I remember how dirty one feels having travelled day and night without taking showers. In Britain distances were so short I never took a night train (if they even existed). Cornwall, Wales and up to the north as far as Wick in Scotland, I've zigzagged around the country. It was the time of those old trains where you had to push the window down to be able to open the door from the outside, the door could not be opened from the inside. And you had trains where you stepped right into your compartment with four seats facing each other and a basketball net -looking thing hanging over your seat for your luggage. And the trains were always running late, but the connecting trains would still wait for you. It was very much like something out of Agatha Christie's books.
Natives were friendly and you could make yourself understood. You could listen to the conversations of your fellow passangers and understand the train announcements. I would have hated to travel like Bob, not having a clue what was said around you and trying to draw how AIDS was transmitted. Yuk.

Journal Entry 15 by wingkirjakkowing at St James's Park, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 08, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/12/2018 UTC) at St James's Park, Greater London United Kingdom

Off to London Town and meeting up with Poodlesister. Unless I've eloped with Jeremy Irons.

Journal Entry 16 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 12, 2018
I will read the epic journal entries when I have read the book. I became fond of the author when I read Riding with Reindeer. Thanks for the wish list book and the postcard of the Smolny Cathedral. Also the various bonus books.

Journal Entry 17 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 25, 2019
I really enjoyed the book. It made me laugh and I missed a tube stop. Always a sign of an entertaining book. I also read all the journal entries. I too interrailed, when I was 18. I remember those couchettes which pulled out into one big bed in a compartment. Was that Italy? Anyway I studied Russian for a term and a half at school, taught by Mrs Rowlands, a Russian woman who married an Englishman. I can say “my mother works in a factory/ hospital”. She didn’t though.

The book will soon be returning to its spiritual home, Finland.

Released 6 mos ago (3/26/2019 UTC) at Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

In the post to Pellu.

Journal Entry 19 by wingPelluwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2019
The book is again in Turku. Thank you Poodlesister for granting my wish in Wishlist Tag.

I too hope to make the Trans-Siberian journey and maybe already this year.

I haven't travelled in Russian platzkart or kupe, but only in commuter trains from St Petersburg to Vyborg and to Pskov. I will try kupe soon when I'm going to visit Moscow. If I have read this book then, I'll give it to my friend who works in Moscow now or wild release it to Yaroslavsky Railway Station.

27.5.2019
A little update. I’ve been reading this very slowly. I don’t think it’s the fault of this book, but I have some phase that I don’t know what I want to read and I read about five books same time and all of them slow. Normally I only read one book at the time.

It is interesting to me that mr Goldstein made his journey during wintertime. I too I’m planning to travel Trans Siberian on October or November and it’s not exactly tourist season then. Of course things have chance since 1987 but the landscape is the same and maybe I can get some hint from the atmosphere there is in the Siberian train during winter.

It was a new fact to me that it wasn’t possible to enter Vladivostok back then and that is why foreign travellers usually went to China from Irkutsk (the city on the west bank of lake Baikal). Even nowadays it’s more popular for tourists to travel Trans Mongolian or Trans Manchurian than to travel Vladivostok. Nowadays it’s easier to get tickets to Vladivostok, they can be bought online, but tickets to trains that go to Mongolia or China need to be purchased through some travel agency.

IF I’m travelling the Trans Siberian, I’m going to Vladivostok because I plan to take a ferry to Japan from there. I’m moving to Japan with my husband in the end of this year.