Mary Anne

by Daphne du Maurier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingdisneyfreaksamwing of Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on 5/26/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingdisneyfreaksamwing from Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 26, 2013
In the glittering, corrupt world of Regency London, Mary Anne Clark had beauty, brains and wit - but no money.

Spurred on by the demands of a drunken husband, a wastrel brother and four children, she chose an exacting profession, aimed for the top - and soon became the mistress of the Duke of York.

For her family she raised a fortune by selling military commissions. The scandal rocked the country from palace to Parliament. The Duke was disgraced, the Royal Family shamed...

Journal Entry 2 by wingdisneyfreaksamwing at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (5/28/2013 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Off for a RABCK

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 30, 2013
Thanks very much for sending this! I really like Daphne du Maurier so am looking forward to reading it. :)

Journal Entry 4 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 19, 2014
A fictionalised account of the life of du Maurier's great-great-grandmother, Mary Anne Clarke. Born in poverty, Mary Anne's stepfather is a drunk who deserts the family, and Mary Anne determines that she must find a rich man to secure the future of the family. When her husband proves not to be what she thought, she sets her sights higher, eventually becoming mistress of the Duke of York. But she is forced to support herself by selling military commissions, and is not without enemies. Fast moving and full of the vibrant charm of Mary Anne herself.

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (12/17/2014 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to Nataliec7 from First Sentences VBB round 9. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingNataliec7wing at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, December 20, 2014
Received as chosen from the First Sentences VBB. Thanks Greenbadger!

Journal Entry 7 by wingNataliec7wing at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 08, 2020
I wasn't sure I was gonna get along with this book. I started it and was a little bored, put it down and then started it again. And I'm glad I did. Mary Anne's life interested me very much and I really wanted to see how it all ended up. And I'm glad it wasn't wrapped up all neatly and tied with a bow. It was interesting and though provoking and difficult and happy at different times and I actually enjoyed the book in the end. 3.5/5

Released 2 mos ago (7/8/2020 UTC) at — Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Adding to Flutterbies9 Already Crossed Bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by jules5 at Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, July 26, 2020
Plucked from the box to be sent to the winner of the Classics sweepstake

Journal Entry 10 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, August 05, 2020
Thanks for this book, jules5, hope it's a good one!