The Eyre Affair

by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0142001805 Global Overview for this book
Registered by camis of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 12/9/2003
Journal Entry 1 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 09, 2003
Forget the rules of time and reality - just enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, December 14, 2003
Sent by post to BookGroupMan

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, December 15, 2003
Thanks Julie, i'm looking forward to this. Will read on the flight to Oz - so will be much travelled before it gets back to you

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 09, 2004
This is quite good fun, although you need to have read Bronte to understand the alternate (real??) ending to Jane Eyre and to fully appreciate the story. Fforde has discovered a rich seam here, opening up a portal between fictional and real worlds for mischief & tourism (litourism?) But, I think he’s over-egged the whole thing a bit with the science-fantasy stuff, like time-travel & genetics, the literary references, and the modern setting with an alternative history. It all gets a bit cluttered and over-extended for me. Love the book-worms though.

Finally, a word about the kick-ass villain, Acheron Hades, who's a cross between Hannibal Lecter (the ruthlessness & psychotic tendencies, not a cannibal!) and a Bond megalomaniac bad-guy – “I’ve been expecting you Miss Next” The heroine literary detective Thursday Next just has a couple of lucky breaks – i’m sure we’ve not seen the last of him.

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan at on Friday, January 09, 2004
Released on Monday, December 29, 2003 at RABCK in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

left with family in Oz - part way through our Xmas/New Year holiday down-under; in a desperate attempt to make room for more books in our luggage!