The Geneva Option: A Yael Azoulay Novel

by Adam Lebor | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0062208551 Global Overview for this book
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 5/19/2013
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 19, 2013
Received as a book to review.

From Amazon:
A gripping thriller of international espionage, The Geneva Option by Adam LeBor pits a sexy, young UN staffer against a brutal conspiracy to control Africa’s natural resources.

Yael Azoulay does the United Nations’ dirty work. Sent by the UN’s Secretary General to eastern Congo to negotiate with Jean-Pierre Hakizimani, a Hutu warlord wanted for genocide, she offers a deal: surrender to the UN tribunal, in exchange for a short sentence and a return to politics.

The plan is to bring stability to the region so the West can exploit the region’s mineral wealth. But Yael soon realizes that the UN is prepared to turn a blind eye to mass murder.

Yael finds herself on the run, hunted by the world’s intelligence and law enforcement agencies—and haunted by her past—ultimately learning that salvation means not just saving other’s lives but confronting her own inner demons.

Written by Adam LeBor, a high-profile foreign correspondent and critically acclaimed investigative journalist, The Geneva Option takes readers on a nonstop journey through the secret corridors of international power.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 06, 2013
Yael Azoulay's star has risen quickly at the United Nations. She is responsible for negotiating deals with some of the worst people you could imagine. Her back-room dealing never sees the light of day until she starts dealing with Jean-Pierre Hakizimani, a Hutu that massacred Tutsi during the Rwandan genocide. Yael despises the deal that Hakizimani is being given and writes a memo to the Secretary General of the UN stating as much. The memo finds its way to the press where Sami Boustani, a New York Times reporter, runs with the story. There's more at stake than just the Hakizimani deal though. The UN seems to be planning something in Africa that could result in another war breaking out.

Years ago, strong female leads would be hard to find in books. These days it seems to be the latest fad to write main characters that are female and kick ass. Yael is one of those, yet in no way fits in to the stereotype. She is a very exciting character. She's intellectual and can hold her own in a fight. She reaches out for help when she needs it, though that's rare. She also isn't predictable, which made for an even more exciting read.

I really enjoyed reading about the back rooms of the UN. LeBor did not portray the organization in a very positive light and I'm sure there is some truth to the corruption that exists at all levels. The extent to which LeBor knew the subject of the book was impressive. It's obvious that he has covered news stories in his journalism career that he brought in to the book. Having read books about both the Rwandan genocide (and specifically fellow Canadian UN peacekeeper Romeo Dellaire) and Bosnian war, I feel like I was a step ahead while reading this book. As much as I appreciated LeBor providing the back story, at times I felt it distracting. Just as I was turning pages quicker in anticipation of the story line it was broken up with a piece of back story history. Further to that, the number of acronyms used in this book was staggering. I found myself flipping back a few times to remember what SG, EGS, ECLF, DPA, etc. stood for.

This is one of the more exciting mystery thriller books I've read in a while. I'd love to read another Yael Azoulay book and see her kick some more ass.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 10, 2013
This book is with me :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 28, 2013
Yael Azoulay has an interesting job at the United Nations. She brokers deals with the worlds' worst criminals. Presently she is negotiating with Jean-Pierre Hakizimani, a Hutu warlord wanted for genocide. The plan is to bring some stability to the region so the mining companies can extract an important metal, coltan, needed for cell phones.

Yael is so perturbed with the deal she actually sends a protest letter to her boss. This letter finds its way the press and she is fired and further on the run. The United Nations is furthering a potential mass genocide in order to keep the mines working!! This story is a mystery, thriller and conspiracy, all rolled into one.

Yael is the kick ass heroine which keeps the story moving at breakneck speed. This story is upsetting in that the UN probably does have situations like this. Namely the Rwandan genocide and how quickly they reacted there. I enjoyed the story and would love to read a sequel about Yael

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 16, 2013
This book has been mailed to my birthday partner!

Journal Entry 6 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Thursday, September 19, 2013
Another interesting-sounding birthday book from Ace - I am most grateful.

Journal Entry 7 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Monday, June 02, 2014
It took me a little while to get into this book but once I did, it was a page turner. I liked the character of Yael a lot however I wanted to know a little more about her background, which came at us in bits and pieces. I thought the ending of the book was fairly unlikely to happen in real life and was also surprised at Yael's reaction.

Journal Entry 8 by dancing-dog at Des Plaines, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (5/22/2015 UTC) at Des Plaines, Illinois USA

given to my sister-in-law - enjoy!