The Call

by Martin Flanagan | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by seldombites of Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on 5/14/2013
Journal Entry 1 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

From Back

'Wills called getting drunk having a bushfire. "Burn off the old growth," he would say, by way of a toast, "Welcome the new".'

Thomas Wentworth Wills is an Australian Icarus. Having grown up among the Djabwurrung people in western Victoria, he was sent to the Rugby school in England. Returning in 1856, he promptly revolutionised colonial cricket and opened the door for the evolution of the indigenous game we know as Australian football. In 1866, he coached the Aboriginal team which later became the first Australian cricket team to tour England, despite having suffered in the war being fought at the country's frontiers between white settlers and the land's Aboriginal inhabitants. Tom Wills died a neglected and forgotten figure. His life is an Australian tragedy, but it bequeathed to the nation a unique and hopeful legacy. The Call is a remarkable novel. In charting the history of one man's life, it takes us to the birth of sport in this country, and to the horrors of racial struggle which continue to this day. His story is lyrical, subtle and true.

This is a paperback edition published in 1998. This edition contains 181 pages. This is an Australian book.

Journal Entry 2 by seldombites at Princes Lodge in North Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, January 27, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (1/24/2014 UTC) at Princes Lodge in North Adelaide, South Australia Australia

G'day

Welcome to BookCrossing! What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it in the wild like I did. I know it may seem a little odd to find this lying around--it's my way of touching the lives of others in a positive way and sharing my love of books.

This book started its journey in Cambridge Park, NSW, Australia and I would like to thank you for letting us know it is still safe and sound. All over the world people are following their book’s travels through BookCrossing & by graciously visiting this site and making an entry you are helping keep this book’s unique travelling history up-to-date.

If you choose to read this book, it would be really great if you could come back and let us know what you thought – as confirmed bookaholics, we love to compare notes! Don’t worry - you can remain anonymous if you wish.

While you don’t have to register or join, I hope you will consider doing so. It’s free, it’s confidential (you are only known by your screen-name), and it’s highly addictive! If you do decide to join, please list myself (seldombites) or any previous reader of this book as your referring member.

For more information about BookCrossing, check out the FAQs on the homepage. For more information about me (seldombites) or any other reader of this book, just click on that person’s screen-name above.

Have a great day and may you always have a good book to read!