Secret Daughter: A Novel

by Shilpi Somaya Gowda | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0061974307 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jrtgrrl of Fort St. John, British Columbia Canada on 5/8/2013
Journal Entry 1 by jrtgrrl from Fort St. John, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, May 08, 2013
On the eve of the monsoons, in a remote Indian village, Kavita gives birth to a baby girl. But in a culture that favors sons, the only way for Kavita to save her newborn daughter's life is to give her away. It is a decision that will haunt her and her husband for the rest of their lives, even after the arrival of their cherished son.

Halfway around the globe, Somer, an American doctor, decides to adopt a child after making the wrenching discovery that she will never have one of her own. When she and her husband, Krishnan, see a photo of the baby with the gold-flecked eyes from a Mumbai orphanage, they are overwhelmed with emotion. Somer knows life will change with the adoption but is convinced that the love they already feel will overcome all obstacles.

Interweaving the stories of Kavita, Somer, and the child that binds both of their destinies, "Secret Daughter" poignantly explores the emotional terrain of motherhood, loss, identity, and love, as witnessed through the lives of two families--one Indian, one American--and the child that indelibly connects them

Journal Entry 2 by jrtgrrl at Fort St. John, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, August 15, 2013
A well written tale of the trials & wonders of adoption, from all points of view. I enjoyed the story, although horrified and yet not surprised by parts. I have to admit, I did wish for a few things to end differently than they did, but that is life. I personally liked the explanations of the Two Indias. Having gone there myself & seen much of the poverty, I often wonder what it is that people see in the country. This book is great at showing it from many perspectives.

Journal Entry 3 by jrtgrrl at Fort St. John, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/4/2013 UTC) at Fort St. John, British Columbia Canada

You have found a very special book! It is a travelling book, out to meet new faces around the world.

Please leave a short entry to let me know where it is on its journey. You do not need to register for the site, just take a look for the anonymous option.
When you are finished with the book, set it free back into the world, maybe you will want to send some other books along with it.

Thank-you and enjoy the book!

**Mailed away for a RABCK!**

Journal Entry 4 by Vapermom at Trenton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful RABCK!! And thank you for the postcards, we participate at www.postcrossing.com so these will come in very handy!

Journal Entry 5 by Vapermom at Trenton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 23, 2014
Nice light read, I really enjoyed this book. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by Vapermom at Trenton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (8/8/2014 UTC) at Trenton, Ontario Canada

On its way to The Netherlands as a RABCK

I hope you enjoy it Camperfan!

Journal Entry 7 by wingCamperfanwing at Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, September 18, 2014
Book arrived safely today. Thank you so much Vapermom for sending it and for the lovely labels. The preview at the back is promising. After reading I find a good place for it.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCamperfanwing at Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 16, 2014
And a good story it is. The culture shock between the States and India is well written and I learned more about the last.

I will release it as part of the Dis is for December challenge by hyphen8 (release a book with D in the titel).

Journal Entry 9 by wingCamperfanwing at Dorpstraat in Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, December 19, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (12/19/2014 UTC) at Dorpstraat in Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands

Next to the church.

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...