corner corner The Lace Reader: A Novel

The Lace Reader: A Novel
by Brunonia Barry | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingDove-i-Libriwing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 5/7/2013

status (set by Dove-i-Libri): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingDove-i-Libriwing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, March 24, 2014

This is one of the books that I've bought in the past and never registered. I'm registering it now with a pre-numbered label so that I can use it for my "Reduce Mount TBR" challenge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About the book from the publisher's site: "... In the tradition of The Thirteenth Tale, Brunonia Barry’s bewitching gothic novel, The Lace Reader, is a phenomenon. Called “a richly imagined saga of passion, suspense, and magic” by Time Magazine, it is a haunting and remarkable tale told by an unforgettable, if strangely unreliable narrator—a woman from an enigmatic Salem family who can foretell the future in patterns of lace. The Lace Reader was a runaway New York Times bestseller — hitting the top lists in major cities across the country, from Boston to Chicago to Los Angeles — and has immediately established debut author Brunonia Barry as a major force in contemporary American fiction.

Every gift has a price ... every piece of lace has a secret.

Towner Whitney, the self-confessed unreliable narrator, hails from a family of Salem women who can read the future in the patterns in lace, and who have guarded a history of secrets going back generations. Now the disappearance of two women is bringing Towner back home to Salem — and is bringing to light the shocking truth about the death of her twin sister.
"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just an additional note, an observation: In some Italian dialects and in Spanish, the word for witch is bruha, bruja, or a similar phonetic equivalent. The author, Brunonia Barry, has a blog called The Bru-haha. (Click Here)

Journal Entry 2 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Starting to read this today. I've waited a long time to read this! Finally getting to read some of the books I've had here for many years! I bought them all because I was excited to read them, but then, they started piling up faster than I can read them. The joy of being a book lover (book fiend?) ☺When I'm done, I'll put it aside for one of the VBBs that I belong to.

May 19, 2017: Finished! Loved it! What a great twist at the end ... Going to enter it in a Virtual Book Box to share.

July 7, 2017: Entered this book into BookstoGive's General Literature Virtual Bookbox (Link)

Journal Entry 3 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, April 16, 2018

April 16, 2018:Such a great book, but still waiting to be chosen from BookstoGive's General Literature Virtual Bookbox (Link)