The Picasso Scam (Di Charlie Priest Mysteries)

by Stuart Pawson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 5/5/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, May 05, 2013
Amazon Editorial Review

When Inspector Charlie Priest suspects a now-respected businessman with a shady past of involvement in international art fraud, he's taking on an enemy with friends in high places. But Charlie can be persistent, and when he finds a link with lethal, doctored heroin, no threat will stop him.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 23, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/23/2013 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

This book was selected from the Mystery/Thriller VBB, enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, who are sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. We would be delighted if you would make a journal entry to say you have found the book. It is fun for other readers of this book to see where the book has traveled-sometimes around the world!

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, October 04, 2013
Thank you so much! This one looks particularly interesting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, January 07, 2018
Wow! I guess timing really *is* everything. It took me four tries to get into this story. After the third, I was thinking of releasing it unread, but then I happened to read another from this series (Limestone Cowboy) and couldn't put it down. When I came back to The Picasso Scam, it really clicked with me.

I have a pink sticky tab on nearly every page of this book - they're all for things I found amusing in Pawson's use of language, especially similes. I will only mention a few, otherwise I'd be writing and you'd be reading for a month! ;-(

--Mike Freer is an old boozing pal from the days before I found out that a crutch made out of liquid is about as useful as a blancmange stepladder.

--I passed the breath test as easily as a Charolais heifer passes wind.

--Two aspirin for this hangover seemed as effectual as throwing ping-pong balls at a runaway train.

--I knew I'd be as restless as a foreskin in a synagogue if I didn't get back to work straight away.

--The sea stretched out before me, still and lifeless, like southern beer.

--Next morning my mouth felt like the inside of a dead marsupial's pouch.

--The place was as silent as a turkey farm on Boxing Day.

Well, I guess I got carried away there, but it always amazes me how creative writers can be. I find that fun use of language contributes as much to my enjoyment of a book as the plot and characters. Still puzzling over why I had all those false starts with this one!

------------------------------
Reserved for bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB (round 20).

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, January 24, 2019
Unclaimed in the VBB so it's now available.

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Little Free Library, 629 Lynn Fells Pkwy in Melrose, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Released 11 mos ago (2/5/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 629 Lynn Fells Pkwy in Melrose, Massachusetts USA

Released for 2019 Heads Shoulders Knees and Toes Challenge hosted by awaywithfairies. (embedded)

Released for 2019 Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!