My New American Life: A Novel (P.S.)

by Francine Prose | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BigJohnLefty of Des Moines, Iowa USA on 4/19/2013
Journal Entry 1 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, April 19, 2013
I picked this up at Books-A-Million in Ames on a recent foray. I just couldn't pass it up.

I've been reading another book by this author about "reading like a writer" and so figured I wanted to check out some of her fiction.

Plan to read soon.....

Journal Entry 2 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, August 09, 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable book, extremely well-written - I definitely have to check out works of fiction by this author.
The main character reminds me a bit of one in a book by a Czech author I read several years ago - there is a very good ring of authenticity about her and the other Albanians.
This is another book that reinforces my notion that novels (or memoirs) are the best way to learn about other parts of the world - in the same way that 'Reading Lolita in teheran" and "The Kite Runner" taught me a lot about Iran and Afghanistan, this broadened my understanding of Albania - and of people from there who've immigrated here.
And even though this is set in New Jersey, there is something in it reminiscent of the midwestern earthiness of Jane Smiley's writing.

plan to release soon.....

Journal Entry 3 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/3/2013 UTC) at Des Moines, Iowa USA

Am sending this to bookczuk to stock in one of her OBCZs in Charleston, SC. Hope this finds a good home!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, September 08, 2013
Received courtesy of the USPS from BigJohefty. This will go out soon, to one of our OBCZs. Thank you! Stay tuned....

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, January 12, 2014
Started this, but just can't fall into the story. My mind is racing too much to settle into the time period I guess. (We sold our house! We are house hunting! We are moving! Soon!) Anyhow, I'm releasing all BookCrossing books that I stumble upon so we don't have to pack/move/unpack them in whatever we find. We're downsizing, so the book collection gets thinned again.

Released 5 yrs ago (1/13/2014 UTC) at Muddy Waters Coffee Bar 1739 Maybank Hwy at Folly in Charleston, South Carolina USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us!