Things Fall Apart

by Chinua Achebe | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BigJohnLefty of Des Moines, Iowa USA on 4/19/2013
Journal Entry 1 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, April 19, 2013
I picked this up at Books-A-Million in Ames on a recent foray. I just couldn't pass it up.

I was prompted to pick it up because the author had passed away about a week before I saw it on the shelf.

Plan to read soon.....

Journal Entry 2 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, December 19, 2015
I've been wanting to read this for years, since browsing a copy a friend in college had - it's supposed to be one of the classics of African literature, and, as such, would recommend it to anyone really wanting to understand the continent (along with Cry the Beloved Country and recent titles dealing with the "boy soldiers" in conflicts on the other side of the continent), especially the after-effects of colonialism.
It is the story of changes in the lifestyle of the Ibos in Nigeria, and does a pretty good job of chronicling life in a typical village. Although I haven't had too much contact with Ibos (but am well-acquainted with one in the plant where I work), I did have a Nigerian roommate (who was Yoruba) one semester in college, and so have a better understanding of the country than the average American.

Will either wild release or RABCK this soon.....