The Sense of an Ending

by Julian Barnes | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLamillawing of St. Petersburg/Санкт-Петербург, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on 4/18/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingLamillawing from St. Petersburg/Санкт-Петербург, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on Thursday, April 18, 2013
Small thin paperback, like new.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, January 17, 2014
Reserved for the Alphabet VBB:

Journal Entry 3 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Monday, January 27, 2014
Taken from the box by Soozreader.

I read the book before sending it (it's so small it took me about a day and a half in total). The ending didn't make much sense (pardon the pun), until I read a pile of reviews and discussions online. I really enjoyed the book and while reading it I was close to naming it my fav. read of 2014 (so early in the year!). Now I think I need to ponder over it before making that decision.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (2/8/2014 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sent today.

You've found a travelling book. Hurray!
The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.
Enjoy your reading!

Привет!
Спасибо, что нашли время зайти на сайт и сделать запись в журнале! Напишите, когда и где вы нашли книгу.
Перед тем, как попасть ко мне, она побывала в других уголках света. История ее путешествий записана на сайте, и теперь к ней добавился еще один пункт. Я очень рада, что она нашла нового читателя в вашем лице.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Journal Entry 6 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Saturday, November 05, 2016
I really liked the book even if the ending was not quite what I expected it to be. I do not mean the revelation itself but just the fact that, I felt, the ending did not give a real closure to the story but just brought more questions that were left unanswered...

Journal Entry 7 by wingSoozreaderwing at on Saturday, November 05, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (11/5/2016 UTC) at

This wishlist book is on its way to the next reader! Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 8 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 09, 2016
Thanks for the book!

Journal Entry 9 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 14, 2016
This was good read. I liked the language. Me too had to search internet about the ending. Haha, is it a good book If you are puzzled about the ending but after reading explanation, everything makes sense.

Journal Entry 10 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (5/9/2017 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Annelis vie kirjan miittiin tarjolle.

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 09, 2017
Haha, I did not leave the book at the meet-up! Well, the book was on the table for a good while and finally I took it myself.
Thank you for the book, kind Bookcrossers!

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 02, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (6/1/2019 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This story was not quite my cup of coffee. Or I it was not the right moment to read it.
I took the book to the meet-up at Loop which was not open for everybody because of a family party.

We had a nice meet-up anyway with ApoloniaX from Germany.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 02, 2019
Beautiful cover art. I was the only one in our meet-up who hadn't read this one so I kind of felt obliged to take it with me. Well, if the book hadn't seemed interesting at all I would not have made that sacrifice :)
Thank you for the book for everybody and thank you Annelis for good company as well!

Journal Entry 14 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 14, 2021
This was surprisingly interesting actually. It made me think of Ian McEwan's books. Really good writing but somehow this story also weighed you down and how sad it is you can't take back what you have done in the past. I was eager to solve the puzzle too and that took away some of the enjoyment of reading in the second part of the book. And I kind of agree with Soozreader: the end was a bit disturbing. And I did google some explanations for the book, too.

Kolmoishaaste: This is how it will be when I grow up, I shall go there, do this, discover that, love her, and then her and her and her.

Helmet lukuhaaste 2021: 4. Joku kertoo kirjassa omista muistoistaan.

Kouluhaaste: elämänkatsomustieto, sillä kirjassa pohditaan mm. itsemurhaa ja historian ja muistojen subjektiivisuutta/totuudenmukaisuutta ja ihmisen vastuuta.

Journal Entry 15 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 15, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (2/15/2021 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

The book is travelling to a next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by Joika at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Friday, February 19, 2021
Thank you, thank you, thank you! My wishlist book that I have wanted to read for some time.

Journal Entry 17 by Joika at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, March 02, 2021
What a first-class piece of literature. I could almost here the sound of my brain working and trying to figure this out. The setting is quite simple and there are not many pieces but still - what a mess. The ending is certainly not clear but that makes it really interesting. The character of Veronica is still a huge mystery in many senses. This novel makes a brilliant choice for my reading circle and I see it's also translated into Finnish so I will probably suggest it.

Journal Entry 18 by Joika at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Sunday, April 11, 2021

Released 4 wks ago (4/11/2021 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland

To another bookcrosser via mail. Happy readings!

Journal Entry 19 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, April 14, 2021
The book came today, thank you so much! Looks very interesting.

Journal Entry 20 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Thursday, April 29, 2021
I really liked this book! Only 150 pages, but the content was big.

The end was surprising and sudden. Still I thought I understood the essential. But when I read your journals and found that many of you had googled about the end, I also did so. And there was one little detail, that I had missed, so I'm glad that I did it.

There were some wondering about the Veronica's anger. I just think she was that kind of person, who cant be happy whatever the circumstances and when she grew old, she was just confused, frustrated and angry towards herself.

Somehow I found the end being happy. Tony sees his life in a different angle and realizes how much there is in his life to be very happy about. And that compared to the Veronica's attitude, that I found the opposite (that's my interpretation). It's kind of matter of choices. But also, people are different and I cant just say other people must be happy no matter what. Maybe there are so big differences between peoples, that "the choosing" is not just possible for some. And same time it makes me happy, that at least just now I feel, that I can choose being happy.

So thank you so much for the book and your comments about it!