The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food

by Jennifer 8 Lee | Nonfiction |
Registered by FeistyPom2Love of San Ramon, California USA on 7/14/2016
Journal Entry 1 by FeistyPom2Love from San Ramon, California USA on Thursday, July 14, 2016
I bought the used hardback version of this novel at the FOL Used Bookstore in Carpinteria, CA. I love eating Chinese food, so was curious to learn more about American versions of various Chinese cuisine.

Amazon Editorial Review:

"If you think McDonald's is the most ubiquitous restaurant experience in America, consider that there are more Chinese restaurants in America than McDonalds, Burger Kings, and Wendys combined. New York Times reporter and Chinese-American (or American-born Chinese). In her search, Jennifer 8 Lee traces the history of Chinese-American experience through the lens of the food. In a compelling blend of sociology and history, Jenny Lee exposes the indentured servitude Chinese restaurants expect from illegal immigrant chefs, investigates the relationship between Jews and Chinese food, and weaves a personal narrative about her own relationship with Chinese food. The Fortune Cookie Chronicles speaks to the immigrant experience as a whole, and the way it has shaped our country."

Journal Entry 2 by FeistyPom2Love at San Ramon, California USA on Monday, December 03, 2018
Wonderful book I recommend to all foodie lovers... Especially if you love Chinese food!

Released 10 mos ago (12/19/2018 UTC) at Free Little Library - 18021 Galatina Street in Rowland Heights, California USA

I left this nonfiction book inside a Little Free Library near my mother-in-law's home.