Carrion Comfort

by Dan Simmons | Horror |
Registered by wingjosieriverswing of Leesville, South Carolina USA on 4/7/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingjosieriverswing from Leesville, South Carolina USA on Sunday, April 7, 2013
Someone donated a tote full of SciFi books to our office. Somehow the tote was forgotten underneath a table in our break room. This book was in it.
*** Note this one is 884 pgs and is a "Warner Book" print-1990***
From Amazon:

THE PAST... Caught behind the lines of Hitler’s Final Solution, Saul Laski is one of the multitudes destined to die in the notorious Chelmno extermination camp. Until he rises to meet his fate and finds himself face to face with an evil far older, and far greater, than the Nazi’s themselves…

THE PRESENT... Compelled by the encounter to survive at all costs, so begins a journey that for Saul will span decades and cross continents, plunging into the darkest corners of 20th century history to reveal a secret society of beings who may often exist behind the world's most horrible and violent events. Killing from a distance, and by darkly manipulative proxy, they are people with the psychic ability to 'use' humans: read their minds, subjugate them to their wills, experience through their senses, feed off their emotions, force them to acts of unspeakable aggression. Each year, three of the most powerful of this hidden order meet to discuss their ongoing campaign of induced bloodshed and deliberate destruction. But this reunion, something will go terribly wrong. Saul’s quest is about to reach its elusive object, drawing hunter and hunted alike into a struggle that will plumb the depths of mankind’s attraction to violence, and determine the future of the world itself…

The second novel by World Fantasy Award-winner Simmons ( The Song of Kali ) is a 636-page epic that draws on a variety of genres--horror, science fiction, political thriller, Hollywood roman a clef. It centers around a small number of "mind vampires" who can subjugate other people to their wills, read their minds, experience through their senses. The immensely powerful vampires use others, often bloodily, and often in frivolous "games" (hunting human prey, chess games with human pieces, and so on). Opposing them are Saul Laski, a psychologist and concentration-camp survivor, who is devoted to tracking down the Nazi vampire von Borchert; Natalie Preston, whose father inadvertently and fatally crossed the path of a pawn of the ancient, dotty vampire Melanie Fuller; Sheriff Bobby Joe Gentry, dragged in while investigating the multiple murders that marked the departure of Melanie Fuller from Charleston; and a host of other normals and vampires whose lives impinge on those of the principals. While he could profitably have trimmed the novel by a third, Simmons has produced, overall, a compelling thriller.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjosieriverswing at Wishlist Tag Game, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (4/10/2013 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. You have in your hands a free gift. This book is yours to do with as you wish...read it, share it, keep it, pass it on. The best book is a shared book.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using me, Josierivers as your referring member.

Happy Readings!

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Received in the mail today. Thanks josierivers for the tag! This looks like a good one!

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, October 19, 2021
I decided to read this one for Halloween this year and I really didn't know what I was getting into! This was a long novel at close to 900 pages and took me over a week to read. This one was really a mix of different genres including horror, science fiction and political thriller. Its main focus is on a group of powerful "mind vampires" that have been around for years and some of which who were instrumental in the horrors of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. These people can force others to perform gruesome tasks by subjugating their minds. These powerful beings tend to use others in games that are often very bloody and deadly and result in the deaths of many innocents. The games include hunting human prey and gruesome games of chess using people as pieces and who are eliminated when captured during the game. The protagonists in the novel who try to oppose these "mind vampires" include Saul Laski, a holocaust survivor who was used as a pawn in one of these deadly games during the war by who he calls the Oberest, a Nazi named Wilhelm von Borchert. Saul is devoted to tracking Borchert down and making him accountable for his atrocities. Then there is Natalie Preston who is seeking vengeance for her father who was killed when he came in contact with Melanie Fuller, an old Mind Vampire who indiscriminately kills as part of a game she has played for years with Borchert and another mind vampire named Nina. And there is Sheriff Bobby Joe Gentry who is pulled into the conflict after investigating multiple murders that occurred in Charleston including Natalie's father. Simmons brings in many other characters and side stories to flesh this huge novel out.

I've read a couple of other novels by Simmons including SUMMER OF NIGHT which I really enjoyed. CARRION COMFORT was really superbly written but it was sometimes way over the top and included a lot of graphic violence that could have been pulled back a little. It was also very long. I think it could have been edited down by about a third with no problem. But it did keep me reading and wondering what craziness was going to happen next. I have a few other novels by Simmons that I need to get to including THE TERROR that I've heard good things about. Hopefully sometime soon.

Released 1 mo ago (10/19/2021 UTC) at Paperbackswap in -- Paperbackswap.com, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to a PaperbackSwap member in MI. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing, please consider joining and indicate that you were referred by perryfran. I hope that you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you are done reading.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a release note to show where the book was released. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

I hope that you will enjoy the BookCrossing experience!