Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

by Barbara Ehrenreich | Nonfiction |
Registered by katn77 of North Reading, Massachusetts USA on 6/6/2002
Journal Entry 1 by katn77 from North Reading, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 06, 2002
The copy I have is actually a different ISBN - it's a softcover from this bookclub I belong to which gets paperback books before they're released as such. So, that said, I registered the ISBN for the hardcover version.

This was part of my ever-growing summer reading list, and my 8+ hour door-to-door trip to and from San Francisco finally allowed me to make a dent. I really enjoyed the book, although I found myself wishing it were longer. That woudl have required that Ehrenreich live the poor life a lot longer, though, so I guess I can excuse it.

Overall it's an interesting portrait of minimum-wage life in America, told with enough self-deprecation from a member of the upper middle class.

Journal Entry 2 by katn77 from North Reading, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 13, 2002
I'm sending this to bookcrosser too-little-time as part of a bookswap.

Journal Entry 3 by too-little-time from Sherman Oaks, California USA on Monday, August 26, 2002
Haven't read this yet. Just received in the mail today from katn77. Thanks, kat. It will go near the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 4 by too-little-time from Sherman Oaks, California USA on Wednesday, October 02, 2002
Quite a thought provoking book. With the economic system in the US, I don't know that there is a way to solve the problem, but there must be something that can be done. It is certainly inspiring me to reconsider my spending patterns. I was slightly disappointed that the author didn't spend more time doing what she was doing in any one place. It seemed that whenever things got too tough, she picked up and moved to another location. But, I have to give her credit - it's certainly more than I would have done.

Release planned for Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at Private Release in Sherman Oaks, California USA.

Releasing to CEHCT

Journal Entry 6 by CEHCT from Enfield, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, December 04, 2002
Received this book right before Thanksgiving, 2002. Haven't read it yet, but it certainly does look interesting. Will be sending out after I read it to BC friend in England.

Journal Entry 7 by CEHCT from Enfield, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2003
Took me a while to read the book - life gets in the way I guess! Thought it was interesting and thought provoking, although the views by the author were still those of an outsider to this life IMHO.

I'm sending this book to a fellow bookcrosser in Nottingham, England.

Journal Entry 8 by Lindlec from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Tuesday, April 01, 2003
Recieved yesterday from CEHCT - thanks will read and release - looks really interesting

Journal Entry 9 by Lindlec at on Wednesday, January 28, 2004
Released on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 at Postal Swap in Nottingham, England United Kingdom.

Sending to an extremely patient bookcrosser - I'm very sorry about the delay - I hope you find this as interesting as I did.

Journal Entry 10 by kafka from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Wednesday, February 18, 2004
Just received this and can't wait to read it. It'll go near the top of my TBR volcano. Thanks for passing it along Lindlec!

Journal Entry 11 by kafka at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, March 13, 2012
This was requested through PaperBackSwap.com so it's on the way to San Antonio, TX