The Tenderness of Wolves: A Novel
1 journaler for this copy...
Heart of Darkness, the Canadian version
The story begins with the discovery of the murdered body of Laurent Jammet, a trapper living near the remote settlement of Caulfield; his throat has been cut and he has been scalped. His body is discovered by a Mrs Ross, a woman of proud bearing and antagonism-inducing intelligence; but her adopted son, a moody and withdrawn adolescent, has also gone missing. With the help of an Indian tracker, who himself is a murder suspect, she heads off into the wilderness to find him - and possibly also to trace the source of the mysterious second set of tracks which her son has probably been following.
about the author
Stef Penney (born 1969 in Edinburgh) is a film-maker and writer.
She grew up in the Scottish capital and turned to film-making after a degree in Philosophy and Theology from Bristol University. She made three short films before studying Film and TV at Bournemouth College of Art, and on graduation was selected for the Carlton Television New Writers Scheme. .
She won the 2006 Costa Book Awards and The Book-of-the-Month Club First Fiction Award with her debut novel The Tenderness of Wolves which is set in Canada in the 1860s. The novel starts with the discovery of the murder of a trapper, and then follows various events that occur as the murderer is sought. Stef Penney did all the research in the libraries of London and never visited Canada.
WILD RELEASE NOTES:
The Hon. Joseph Frobisher (April 15, 1748 – September 12, 1810) M.P., J.P., was one of Montreal's most important fur traders. He was elected to the 1st Parliament of Lower Canada and was a seigneur with estates totalling 57,000 acres. He was a founding member of the North West Company and the Beaver Club, of which he was chairman. From 1792, his country seat, Beaver Hall, became a centre of Montreal society.
Beaver Hall. Built 1792,it stood amidst 40 acres made up of forest and apple trees, roughly where the Sun Life Building is today. The house measured 80 feet across, but burned down in 1847