Emergence: Labeled Autistic

Read a book; share a book
by Temple Grandin, Margaret M. Scariano | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 3/27/2013
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, April 07, 2013
First published in 1986, this is Temple Grandin's first book. It was amazing to run accross this book after reading her others, written much later in her career.

Somewhat choppy, this book recounts with great directness the difficulties Grandin had in her early socialization through college. What is also telling is that the book recounts how she became a "recovered Austistic." Talk about the medicalization of a condition... However in the mid 1980s, having an autistic label was paramount to saying that person could never be independant, nor have a 'real' life. Now, with the acceptance of various therapies, and the social cachet of aspergers (it's a fad, people, not a socially enhancing condition!) you wouldn't see this medicalization in a book written today. Besides, Grandin herself may use a 'medicalization' term for the condition, but basically gives you an insiders view of how she found her own strengths.

Very worth reading, although her later books show a lot more insight, as she no longer had to prove she wasn't defective in some way. Besides, hearing Grandin talk about her fervent work is far more interesting than hearing about her learning to tolerate and live with other people.

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 30, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (9/30/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put into The Medicine Chest Bookbox IV to look for a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, November 04, 2013
Hearing about this book on 60 Minutes was my first introduction to Temple Grandin. I find her fascinating. I have several of her other books on my TBR but don't know that I have actually read any of them. I will try to get to this one first.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2014
An interesting look into the world of autism by someone who has largely left it behind. This is the author's first book and her most personal, so some excuses must be made for the fact that it is not as polished as her later works on animal behavior. Plus, she tries to explain general concepts about autism using her own personal experiences, which makes for an easier method of understanding the world of autism, but a slightly more disjointed personal history. I came out of this very impressed with the author's mother and the lengths she went to in order to develop her daughter's potential instead of just institutionalizing her, which was more common in those days. If only all families had access to the sort of resources and small classes that the Grandin family's affluence afforded them, autism would lose a lot of its stigma. And I came to appreciate the author's position that too much reliance on medication can take away the very internal drives that lead people to succeed -- although decreased use of medication would need to be paired with more insightful and dedicated teaching and care, such as the author received, in order for the success to come (in my opinion).

This book is on the wishlist of several people who will be attending the convention in Oxford. I will take it with me and try to find a way to fairly select one reader out of the lot of them.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 05, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (4/9/2015 UTC) at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control." -- Paul Auster

This book is one of the ones that I am taking to the Oxford Convention as a wishlist RABCK for one of my fellow BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 6 by Annelis at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, April 17, 2015
Thank you for this Wishlist book, 6of8!
I have read one of Temple Grandin's book and seen her on TV, but I wish to read more.

Journal Entry 7 by Annelis at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 25, 2016
This is quite an interesting book, which tells about Grandin growing up from a different point of view than her later books. I have seen her on television and YouTube, too. At least one program was on Finnish TV.

Journal Entry 8 by Annelis at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (9/28/2016 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Miittiin mukaan.
Mukavia lukuhetkiä!

Journal Entry 9 by Annelis at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (10/11/2016 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Wishlist-RABCK

I'll take the book to the monthly meet-up at Sokos in Helsinki.
Happy reading!

This is my # 109 in
"KEEP THEM MOVING 2016" Challenge arranged by Booklady331.

This is my # 108 (120) in
"REDUCE MOUNT TBR 2016" Challenge arranged by Dutch-book.

Journal Entry 10 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 11, 2016
What a lovely surprise! Temple Grandin is amazing, I've read some of her other books. She must have a great publishing editor who asks her all the right questions, or how else could she know what we non-autistic do not realise from their world?
And look who has had the book before, 6of8! I won't promise this book 'an Elvis-tour', but I might come up with something else.