Never a City So Real

Celebrating Books!
by Alex Kotlowitz | Travel |
ISBN: 022661915X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 1/2/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 02, 2021
I thought my pre-numbered labels had all been used, but something fell out of cabinet in the kitchen (which had been reorganized twice in the previous 6 months) and suddenly a few more appeared.

I was a on roll recently with travel books about exploring cities on foot. Chicago is a city associated with grit -- working class, no nonsense, and in your face in a way New York likes to think it is. The attitude of Chicago is a reflection of its people and their brashness is a reflection of its history. This book -- ostensibly one to introduce the city to potential visitors -- recognizes that the essence of the place is best understood through an acquaintance with the characters of those who give it flavor. I don't know that my interest in visiting Chicago has increased as a result of reading this book. But my ability to feel comfortable if I ever do visit has.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 02, 2021

Released 3 mos ago (1/2/2021 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Zippy came to meet me in my parking lot to exchange books. I added this bonus, which is a poor exchange for the yummy cookies she gave me.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 02, 2021
Picked this book during the BCinDC 1st Line Holiday 2020 game we had on Zoom due to CV19 epidemic. . Today I went see fellow BC'er and friend "6of8" to do a pickup/drop off (socially distanced style) of books picked during the Zoom game.
The 1st line of this book is "My father-in-law, Jack Woltjen, sold eucalyptus oil."