Still Blinking

by Mark Krahling | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by markcali on 3/11/2013
Journal Entry 1 by markcali on Sunday, March 31, 2013
Still blinking is a collection of stories that capture those tiny moments that pass in the blink of an eye. The author helps us to sit back and ask the question, "What just happened there?" - sometimes supplying us with his own interpretation while always encouraging us to find our own.

Journal Entry 2 by markcali at Hilden, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Released 9 yrs ago (4/7/2013 UTC) at Hilden, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Rabck release - mailed to Germany on 4/3/13

Journal Entry 3 by dugoengche at Hilden, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, April 14, 2013
got it - thanks very much - am looking forward to it and
will start reading it soon and let you know my comments....

Journal Entry 4 by dugoengche at Hilden, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 15, 2013
not just a thick book but a small collection of short stories full of humor, written with a twinkle in the eye.
Soon after I started to read a smile appeared on my face which hardly disappeared throughout the entire book...
The last sentences of the book seem to be telling a bookcrossing story:

"We still have a lot to learn about how to do this whole book group discussion thing. But I'm confident that pages, chapters and someday, entire books will be read.
Meanwhile, the group has grown larger, the friendships stronger, the discussions deeper."

Thanks, Mark, for sharing this with us:-)

Teilnehmer:
samingo
anhang
hesiodo66
RonOren

Released 9 yrs ago (4/19/2013 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

on the way to the next reader

Good luck - have a pleasant journey:-)

Free your books and your mind will follow!!

Journal Entry 6 by Colombina at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, April 26, 2013

Arrived safely in Wuppertal today, thank you very much :-)!

Journal Entry 7 by Colombina at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A wonderful collection of heartwarming and humorous stories showing the beauty that lies in small things ... As a freelancer, I often feel like an involuntary one-leg kicking dog's body surrounded by a myriad of swirls but I always lacked the words to describe it, so I was especially happy to expand my vocabulary in that field :-)!
Thank you very much for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by Colombina at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Released 9 yrs ago (5/8/2013 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Now on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 9 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 12, 2013
This arrived on Friday, but I was at a conference and am only getting around to doing the mail now. :)

Journal Entry 10 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 15, 2013
I'm sorry, but this book really, really wasn't for me. I doubt I would have even finished it if it wasn't such a slim volume. While I liked some of the observations (or "little snatches of life", as per the introduction), I neither enjoyed the sentiment nor the language that described them. I'm not sure what Still Blinking wants, but to me it's neither funny nor sensual nor thought-provoking, though there was potential for all these things in the initial premise of "noticing the extraordinary". Also, please take it from me that the word you mean is indeed dogsbody. A "dog's body" is just that, the body of a dog. It's called grammaticalisation. You might look it up sometime, it's a fun excercise in noticing the extraordinary in everyday language.

P.S.: Here's somebody whose way of noticing things I quite adore: Phoenix Dreaming aka Weird Prophet.

P.P.S.: In all fairness, I should add that I did actually sort of enjoy the pinche story.

P.P. -- okay, now it's getting ridiculous: I share hostile17's feelings about the woman at Kaiser Pharmacy.

Journal Entry 11 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, May 20, 2013
Forgot my coffee in the microwave the other day. Twice. I guess that's my just deserts for the mean JE?

After a rainy (and snowy) holiday in austria I came home to find this little book save and sound in my letterbox :) Thanks to linguistkris for bringing it over! I am curious for the stories which will be read with a steaming cup of tea and a blanket around me, until my flat warmed up again.

I really, really loved this book! As I am a writer myself I instantly felt close to the author when reading on page 9: "Writing is a way for me to collect memories and intriguing details and to make sense, or raise questions about an experience" (I might add for myself: To take the reader to another world and entertain him). I am a big memory collector myself. If something awesome happens I try to fix it into my mind to have it still in me when I am too old for traveling far and dear friends are no longer with me. And then I picture myself sitting on a chair on a veranda overlooking a valley with my walking stick near me, dreaming me back to those wonderful memories. I never thought of writing them down. Now I wonder why. You see tomorrows are getting yesterdays so quickly, weekends flashing by, springs flashing by ... making me think, that I should better grab hold of something ...

I could go on forever, but I better stop before I make a fool of myself. You see, the book really touched me. Only thing I did not like: It was too short (to be read in a blink ;)), but it seemed unfair to take of points for that :) Thank you, Mark, for this very special book! And thank you BookCrossing, I would never have come across it, without this project! As I am still a Newbie, I still marvel about what it can do :) <3

This little jewel will now go on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by JordisLank at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Released 9 yrs ago (5/29/2013 UTC) at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Will go on today by mail to hadija :)

Journal Entry 15 by wingHadijawing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, June 5, 2013
This little book already arrived yesterday, but I failed to do the JE, sorry!
Seems to be good for some little entertaining moments...:o)

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by wingHadijawing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, July 27, 2013
Oooh, my conscience is pricking me so bad, because this book must have been travelling on so long ago, but I haven´t got round to it yet. ( probably I say that everytime...;o])

This little Storys really took me back down Memory-Lane, because there were moments,
I knew as well from those times, when life was treating me kind and my home wasn´t that
empty place. Reading this book felt a little like homesick, but I´m fine . =o)
That´s the way it goes!

Now the little book goes on to samingo, and tomorrow I´m taking it with me to the
"Haaner Strand".

Thx for bringing it with you to the 'Haaner Strand' today, Hadija, looking couriously forward to reading this book... Will have to wait a little to finish the 'Moutain of ring'- books before...

edit: Oct 15th 2013: read, smiled... funny stories. I liked 'Movies' best :-)
will hand the book over today to Anhang - have fun reading!

Journal Entry 18 by wingSamingowing at Haan, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (10/15/2013 UTC) at Haan, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Liebes Buch auf Reisen. Ich hoffe, Du findest Deinen Weg in viele, viele Hände von Bücherfreunden und bereitest angenehme Stunden beim Lesen!
Lass von Dir hören von Zeit zu Zeit!

Journal Entry 19 by dugoengche at Hilden, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, October 16, 2013
book as safely returned to me - THANKS

Released 8 yrs ago (10/25/2013 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

the book is on the way again, this time travelling to Argentina

Have a pleasant journey!

free your books and your mind will follow

Journal Entry 21 by hesiodo66 at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina on Saturday, November 30, 2013
Woohoo!!!! received today!