Kill-Devil And Water: A Pyke Mystery

by Andrew Pepper | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 075382597X Global Overview for this book
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 2/27/2013
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 27, 2013
London: 1840. The economy is sliding into recession; gangs of unemployed workers roam the streets; and a murderer prowls the capital's poor neighbourhoods. Pyke, still grieving over the death of his wife and struggling to shoulder his responsibilities as a father, is in debtors' prison, having lost his home and reached the edge of bankruptcy. Fitzroy Tilling, now head of the new Metropolitan Police Force gives Pyke his freedom, but in return he must agree to investigate the brutal death of a young mulatto woman, who was apparently working as a prostitute. It is not long before another woman turns up dead, and Pyke begins to suspect that he has stumbled on something more sinister, and more far-reaching than the murder of a couple of prostitutes... Pyke's investigation takes him from the London docks to the sugar plantations of Jamaica, from a fading colonial mansion to the back-streets of the East End in a struggle against ambitious and ruthless enemies, as well as demons of his own.

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, May 11, 2014
Once again, a well written historical detective story set in London and also in Jamaica. Very descriptive as you could almost smell the stink of London's seedier parts at that time in history. A few unexpected turns really had me guessing till the end !

Journal Entry 3 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (9/18/2018 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

Going into Flutterbies9 's Crime BookBox. Happy reading !

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 01, 2018
Taken from Flutterbie9's Crime Bookbox as hubby wants to read it :o)

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at To a non- Bookcrosser in Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/2/2018 UTC) at To a non- Bookcrosser in Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Added to hubby's TBR which is starting to rival mine......

Released as part of 2018 The SPOOK-TACULAR CHALLENGE (#7)

Journal Entry 6 by wingPlum-crazywing at The White Swan Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 11, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/13/2019 UTC) at The White Swan Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Read & enjoyed by hubby. It's now going to the Leeds meet up to find another reader

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelticwing at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 13, 2019
Picked up at today’s meet-up in Leeds. Good to see you today Plum-crazy. Look forward to reading it when it fits one of your themes!

Journal Entry 8 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 10, 2020
A very well written historical mystery, which had me guessing right till the end. I wasn't sure whether I really liked Pyke as a person, but he won me over in the end.

An appropriate book for today as Pyke is investigating the murder of a "mulatto" woman that nobody else seems to care about. Black lives do matter!

Journal Entry 9 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 31, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (7/31/2020 UTC) at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

One of several books I've been thinking of sending you for ages now. Read it or pass it on. it's up to you.

Journal Entry 10 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 04, 2020
What a lovely and welcome surprise along with its friends. I'm not sure that I would ever have picked it up myself but will certainly give it a go. Thanks for sharing.