Tell It to the Trees

by Anita Rau Badami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Kally93 of Brantford, Ontario Canada on 2/23/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Kally93 from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 23, 2013
Bought at a second-hand store.

Amazon Editorial Review
One freezing winter morning a dead body is found in the backyard of the Dharma family’s house. It’s the body of Anu Krishnan.

For Anu, a writer seeking a secluded retreat from the city, the Dharmas’ “back-house” in the sleepy mountain town of Merrit’s Point was the ideal spot to take a year off and begin writing. She had found the Dharmas’ rental through a happy coincidence. A friend from university who had kept tabs on everyone in their graduating year – including the quiet and reserved Vikram Dharma and his first wife, Helen – sent her the listing. Anu vaguely remembered Vikram but had a strong recollection of Helen, a beautiful, vivacious, social and charming woman.

But now Vikram had a new wife, a marriage hastily arranged in India after Helen was killed in a car accident. Suman Dharma, a stark contrast to Helen, is quiet and timid. She arrived from the bustling warmth of India full of the promise of her new life – a new home, a new country and a daughter from Vikram’s first marriage. But her husband’s suspicious, controlling and angry tirades become almost a daily ritual, resigning Suman to a desolate future entangled in a marriage of fear and despair.

Suman is isolated both by the landscape and the culture, and her fortunes begin to change only when Anu arrives. A friendship begins to form between the two women as Anu becomes a frequent visitor to the house. While the children, Varsha and Hemant, are at school, Anu, Vikram’s mother, Akka, and Suman spend time sharing tea and stories.

But Anu’s arrival will change the balance of the Dharma household. Young Varsha, deeply affected by her mother’s death and desperate to keep her new family together, becomes increasingly suspicious of Anu’s relationship with her stepmother. Varsha’s singular attention to keeping her family together, and the secrets that emerge as Anu and Suman become friends, create cracks in the Dharma family that can only spell certain disaster.

Journal Entry 2 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 23, 2013
Interesting story, told from four different points of view, about a family dealing with abuse, keeping up appearances and cultural traditions. This story had an interesting ending leaving you wondering what would happen.

Journal Entry 3 by Kally93 at Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Monday, February 25, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (2/24/2013 UTC) at Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Put in the Across Canada Bookbox.

Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Journal Entry 4 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 10, 2013
Hello dear friend, Kally93!
I've taken this from the book box because I so enjoyed Tamarind Mem by this author. Thank you for this chance to add to my TBR mountain range! I really look forward to reading this one!
March 7, 2014
Another great story! An interesting insight into the lives of abused immigrant women.

Journal Entry 5 by wingherchellewing at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 8, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (3/8/2014 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Off to the March Bookcrossing Meetup tomorrow and looking for the next reader

Journal Entry 6 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 9, 2014
Picked up at the March Calgary Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 7 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 6, 2014
Couldn't get in to the characters...taking it to the bookcrossing meetup for the next person to read.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 13, 2014
Picked up at the September meeting!

Journal Entry 9 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (12/13/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the December meeting! This was a compelling, well written book.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 10 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, December 15, 2014
Grabbed at get together

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 10, 2016
This wasn't quite what I was expecting when handed a book and told it dealt with DV. Although there were a couple of characters that I thought I might like, I wasn't really invested in any of them. It also jumped back and forth in time, which for the most part was okay but at other times was confusing.

I think I was expecting the story to show more of the development of their relationships, but then realized at the end that the author was actually going for more of a creepy horror story/psychological thriller style of story. I think had a known that I would have read it differently and been more into it.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Journal Entry 12 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 11, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (3/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together

Journal Entry 13 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 11, 2017
Picked up this book at the March meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 14 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 11, 2018
Well, I downloaded this and read it on holidays. It pulled me in even though it was hard to like the characters often but the tales of isolated communities , immigrants, step parenting and so much more. Thanks for the read.

Journal Entry 15 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am hoping that I am well enough to go to the January meetup at Cravings to send this book on to it's next reader.

Journal Entry 16 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 20, 2018
Caught at last book club meeting

Journal Entry 17 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 16, 2018
The story delves into difficult family relations and is thought provoking concerning family secrets of domestic violence. The unexplained death of their tenant Anu gradually unfoldes with events leading up to Anu’s death.
The relationship between brother and sister was sad to look but I really enjoyed the narratives of the younger brother, as it showed how a child may act towards their abuser and painted a picture of a controlling and abusive relationship from a perspective I don't often hear about and he would divulge the abuse by “telling it to the trees”.
This is a disturbing but fascinating tale without much joy and a lot of crazy! I think readers will really hate it or really like it.!

Journal Entry 18 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (5/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

For the next reader

Journal Entry 19 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 28, 2018
Haven't read yet

Journal Entry 20 by L-Marie at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 27, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (6/27/2020 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

This story about the Dharma family holds many secrets and has a tragic ending, which should not have ended this way. When Anu Kristian rents a cottage from the Dharma family and starts to ask questions about the family and the problems she witnessed, one of the family members takes on a devious nature and the end results are very disturbing.