Ulysses (Penguin Modern Classics)

by James Joyce | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Charly83 of Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on 2/22/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Charly83 from Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Friday, February 22, 2013
For Joyce, literature "is the eternal affirmation of the spirit of man". Written between 1914 and 1921, Ulysses has survived bowdlerization, legal action and bitter controversy. An undisputed modernist classic, its ceaseless verbal inventiveness and astonishingly wideranging allusions confirm to the human condition. Declan Kiberd says in his introduction that Ulysses is "an endlessly open book of utopian epiphanies. It holds a mirror up to the colonial capital that was Dublin on 16 June 1904, but it also offers redemptive glimpses of a future world which might be made over in terms of those utopian moments".

Journal Entry 2 by Charly83 at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Friday, February 22, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/22/2013 UTC) at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany

This books travels as a Rabck to kingfan30. Thank you very much for the book you sent me. I hope you enjoy my reply.

Journal Entry 3 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Thank you so much for the book, I really wasn't expecting anything in return so that was very kind of you. I've heard a lot about this book so will be interested to see what I think

18 May 19 - So the plan was one I’ve used on other big classics that’s worked very well. Take the book on holiday, start it why you have the time to understand and get into it, then if you’ve not finished by the time you get home, you are already hooked and need to know the ending.

So I started it overlooking the pool - two days later I’m not really sure what’s going on but I’m persevering. By the time I got on the plane home I found I was trying to do everything I could not to pick it up, watch a movie, play games, talk to the other half, sleep!!

Home a couple of days and I’ve not had the time with work and sorting holiday stuff out until this morning to pick it up. I’m 33% in which doesn’t sound much but is over 300 pages. I can’t be bothered, I don’t really know what’s going on, life’s to short to preserve, it’s very rare for me to give up on a book, but I’m afraid I just can’t carry on.

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (7/17/2019 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on as a RABCK

Journal Entry 5 by littleemz88 at Welham Green, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 20, 2019
Received as a RABCK as it was on my wish list. Thank you kingfan30 and please do let me know if you would like anything in return :)

I put this on my wish list because I want to try to read more classics. I'll journal again once I've read it :)