The City of Joy

by Dominique Lapierre | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by eastbaybookmisr of Oakland, California USA on 2/15/2013
Journal Entry 1 by eastbaybookmisr from Oakland, California USA on Friday, February 15, 2013
1986 Warner Books paperback of the 1985 winner of the Christopher Award, Book-of-the-Month Club Featured Alternate and International Bestseller. I found this copy today in the free books box on the porch of Dimond Library.

I can let this go after I read:
1965 Is Paris Burning? [n/a]
1972 O Jerusalem [n/a]
1975 Freedom at Midnight [n/a]
1980 The Fifth Horseman [read 2021]

Edit September 25, 2021: This was good, but it runs long, and I just skimmed to end for time. There is a nice little Afterword, which explains how the proceeds go to the subjects of the story, on a sustained basis. The case was presented in Parade magazine way back then, and with contact address for people to get involved in the effort. Generally my sense is that it is a mistake to try to transform such things so radically, and the attempt ends up toxic, because it is too much for the wider society to absorb, without corruption making things even worse. So it would be interesting to track down the followup results of that. I tend to think that the best path is for local money to improve local conditions, in a much more organic manner. I currently have this ranked at #5006 on my ranked list of best-read books lately.

Released 4 wks ago (9/26/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library at 4676 Seven Hills Rd in Castro Valley, California USA

... in the box.

Please look her up on Google, DuckDuckGo, and YouTube. You can also follow her on Facebook and Instagram, among other platforms.