Mr. Rosenblum's List: Or Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman

by Natasha Solomons | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 2/13/2013
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 13, 2013
List item 2: Never speak German on the upper decks of London buses.

Jack Rosenblum is five foot three and a half inches of sheer tenacity. He's writing a list so he can become a Very English Gentleman.

List item 41: An Englishman buys his marmalade from Fortnum and Mason.

It's 1952, and despite his best efforts, his bid to blend in is fraught with unexpected hurdles - including his wife. Sadie doesn't want to forget where they came from or the family they've lost. And she shows no interest in getting a purple rinse.

List item 112: An Englishman keeps his head in a crisis, even when he's risking everything.

Jack leads a reluctant Sadie deep into the English countryside in pursuit of a dream. Here, in a land of woolly pigs, bluebells and jitterbug cider, they embark on an impossible task...

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Released 6 yrs ago (5/8/2018 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 13, 2018
Taken from kinedi's "Female Authors" bookbox :o)

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 13, 2019
I'm usually wary of books whose blurb says "very funny" or "hilarious" as they so seldom match my sense of humour. Well, this one says it & guess what? Yes, sadly Mr Rosenblum failed to tickle my funny bone. Initially I found his obsession with "becoming an Englishman" a bit sad, then rather pathetic & finally a bit annoying as his desire to be assimilated led to him having to build a golf course. While this could/should have been an opportunity for much merriment & mirth, I just found most of it tedious & found myself skimming rather than reading it in the way that a book deserves.

Nothing else to say...except thanks for sharing kinedi, hope its next reader is more appreciative.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at Debut Novel, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (8/28/2019 UTC) at Debut Novel, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Added to my "Debut Novels" Bookbox ready for round 2

Journal Entry 6 by jules5 at Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, February 24, 2020
Plucked from the debut novels box- the book cover inspires a spring read💚

Journal Entry 7 by jules5 at Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 29, 2020
I did enjoy this book although I felt it over long. The description of 1950’s rural England evokes a real sense of nostalgia and humour whereas London was grim and claustrophobic. Sadie’s baking of the baumtorte was a real heartstring moment and the women around her providing comfort. The moments of shocking discrimination and racism are just as appalling now as then. So there’s going to be a movie?

Journal Entry 8 by jules5 at Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Released 3 yrs ago (7/22/2020 UTC) at Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany

Wish granted �� Enjoy !

Journal Entry 9 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, August 5, 2020
Thank you so much for this wishlist book! Can't wait to read it (though I have a few other books ahead of this one).

Journal Entry 10 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 30, 2020
I quite enjoyed this book thought I found the end a bit over-done.

Journal Entry 11 by grovalskii at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Released 2 wks ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany

The book went with me to the mini meetup with Sakirmo and others today.

Journal Entry 12 by wingJuli312wing at Moabit, Berlin Germany on Thursday, May 30, 2024
Found at the meetup, thank you!