Things Fall Apart

by Chinua Achebe | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Andrasthe of Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on 2/11/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Andrasthe from Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, February 11, 2013
Yeats' lines "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world" inspired the title of this book, that was originally published in 1958.

Chinua Achebe's "Things fall apart" is structured into three parts. The first part tells about the life of the man Okonkwo, a leader of the village Umuofia. The focus is on his views of the world around him, about his perception of honour and manliness, about his family, and the traditions and customs of his people. The second part introduces British colonialism and the introduction and the enforcement of Christianity, and the third part deals with the results of both worlds - the new and the old, the Nigerian and the British - clashing.

The feelings this story invoked were so diverse, that I'm not quite sure how I liked the book. First of all the style felt unusual, but honest to me. The sections about traditions, customs and mythology were great and deeply enriching, as I haven't read many African authors yet. Parts reminded me of "The Good Earth" which I have read many years ago. Especially when it comes to the place of women in the story and the described society.
Secondly, the story managed to surprise me, as did the characters.

That said, I had a lot of difficulties in empathizing with the protagonist. Even within the hierarchical patriarchal structure of his society, Okonkwo is a hard-core specimen. He always considers the consequences of his actions - the consequences on his appearance, that is. The warrior does not show feelings, frequently lashes out at his family (frequently beats his women and children) and seeks battle, as this is the manly way. Okonkwo is a narrow-minded traditionalist, who reigns as a tyrant. Due to an accident, he has to live in exile for seven years. Still, nothing changes - he returns to his "fatherland" to reclaim his deserved place among the leaders, not really acknowledging that things have changed. Ultimately, the end is foreshadowed long before it plays out.

All in all, I come to the conclusion that I liked the book and that I treasure that it introduced me to many new concepts. Although I do understand Okonkwo's reasoning most of the time and feel the tragedy within the story, I cannot deal well with this character and especially with how he treats his family. The failure to fully comprehend, of course, is surely rooted in my own identity.

Journal Entry 2 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/24/2013 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

This book will now travel as a bookray! Enjoy :)

The participants so far are:

Blue_berry (UK - EU)
Askeladda (NOR - EU)
Icila (France - intl.)
carmendoran (UK - EU/UK)

...

Journal Entry 3 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 07, 2013
Received safely, thank you! It seems to be a bookring/ray month for me, this is the 3rd I've received so I have to read those others first, but hopefully won't hold this up too long.

Journal Entry 4 by carmendoran at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 18, 2013
5 weeks after it was posted to me from Switzerland, the book finally arrived!!! (Along with all my other personal stuff that I thought was lost). However, when I look below, I think a new book has been registered under the same number???

Journal Entry 5 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, June 14, 2013
This was a very intense and masterfully written book, describing tribal life before and after the arrival of white men in Niger. The protagonist is a warrior and a macho man and he represented the old world, which comes to its peril at the end. The book made me think how cruel the patriarchal societies are. The tribe kept slaves, abandoned their twins, killed for obscure reasons and were polygamists; I could not see them better than western society - except maybe that they were living in harmony with their environment, but also being at its mercy, with no medicines etc. On the arrival of white men the old way of life was irreversibly changed.
The book gave African perspective and lots of food for thought.

Journal Entry 6 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, June 14, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/14/2013 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending to the next reader in this bookring, enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAskeladdawing at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Sunday, June 23, 2013
Thank you Blue berry, the book arrived safely. I will start reading it as soon as I've finished another book ring book...

Journal Entry 8 by wingAskeladdawing at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Sunday, June 30, 2013
Just finished reading! The book was great! I feel i have learned a lot about how the ibo people lived, about their thinking, beliefs, culture, relationship between men and women and children before their culture changed when they encountered the white mans culture.
This book deserves lots and lots of readers!
Thank's for leting me take part in this bookring!

On to France as soon as I got the adress to the next participant in the ring.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAskeladdawing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (7/2/2013 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book is travelling on to the next reader. Life is worth living as long as there are still some good books to be read. This book is such a book! Good Luck to everyone who are still waiting to read it:)

Til deg som finner boka sier jeg: velkommen til bookcrossing!
Takk for at du tok vare på boka!

Håper du vil like boka du har funnet!
Les den, skriv et lite bokslipp notat og la boka reise videre!

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, July 26, 2013
I don't understand why 2 copies of this book with the same BCID were waiting for me at home sent by 2 different people from 2 different countries ???

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, August 06, 2013
Thanks Andrasthe, I re-registred the extra copy and gave it to a Philippina friend who likes to read and was visiting us.

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, August 26, 2013
I can't say better than you did what I think about this book Andrasthe. Thanks for sharing.

I did a new checking, according to the lis the book was due to carmendoran. No worry, she had it previously.

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/10/2014 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

En route to Florence 71 for "I loved this book and I want to share it" thread.

Journal Entry 14 by wingFlorence71wing at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Monday, September 15, 2014
In my letterbox friday ! Thanks Icila for this sharing !

Journal Entry 15 by wingFlorence71wing at Boulevard Diderot in -Paris 12e, Ile-de-France France on Friday, February 20, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/21/2015 UTC) at Boulevard Diderot in -Paris 12e, Ile-de-France France

Déposé à l'arrêt de bus où il y'a des étagères à livre.

"Ce livre est un livre voyageur. Quand vous l'aurez trouvé, merci de faire un petit commentaire sur le site www.bookcrossing.com avant de le libérer à nouveau afin qu'il poursuive son voyage".