The Education of Little Tree

by Forrest Carter | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 2/11/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, February 11, 2013
My sister-in-law gave me this book a few years ago, saying she thought I'd enjoy it because it's the true story of an orphaned Indian boy. Well, the Peoples that I know, have studied with, are Southwestern, I know very little of the Cherokee, but as I read it just didn't ring true. I wish I could give specifics, but it been way too long. I just remember how much it bothered me that there was too much that seemed off/didn't fit.
And then several years later, I found out it is indeed fiction. But the fascinating part of that is that it was the author himself who was the fiction~~ he was creating a whole new life, background, character for himself!

Amazon Editorial Review

"Little Tree" as his grandparents call him is shown how to hunt and survive in the mountains, to respect nature in the Cherokee Way, taking only what is needed, leaving the rest for nature to run its course.

Little Tree also learns the often callous ways of white businessmen and tax collectors, and how Granpa, in hilarious vignettes, scares them away from his illegal attempts to enter the cash economy. Granma teaches Little Tree the joys of reading and education. But when Little Tree is taken away by whites for schooling, we learn of the cruelty meted out to Indian children in an attempt to assimilate them and of Little Tree's perception of the Anglo world and how it differs from the Cherokee Way.

A classic of its era, and an enduring book for all ages, The Education of Little Tree has now been redesigned for this twenty-fifth anniversary edition.

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, February 11, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (2/11/2013 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

sending to NancyNova for the Wishlist Tag game~~ Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2013
A Tagged book. Thank you! I'm assuming this is one of the Florida book club books that I'm trying to catch up with, so it's going on the tagged TBR shelf.

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Pulled to read and tag forward.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, March 3, 2016
rabck from Erishkigal; considering this book was written under a pen name by a racist Southerner who likely never set foot in Tennessee, it was quite good. Using a young boys backwoods dialect, it tells the story of Little Tree, orphaned at age 5, who goes to live with his part Indian grandparents in the hills of Tennessee. This folk wisdoms of the grandparents are quite delightful. This book will move along as a wishlist tag to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, March 5, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (3/5/2016 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

A wishlist book. Enjoy!

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Thursday, March 17, 2016
The book has arrived with a BCID label, and a bookmark too! Thank you.

Journal Entry 8 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Sunday, October 23, 2016
A tale of Native American life as seen through the eyes of a young boy.

Journal Entry 9 by maggiesma at Little Free Library in Grants Pass, Oregon USA on Saturday, November 5, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (11/4/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library in Grants Pass, Oregon USA

1339 Conklin Ave