Library Card, The

Free your books!
by Jerry Spinelli | Children's Books |
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 2/11/2013
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, March 14, 2013
I recently read somewhere in the forums (but I can't find the reference) that "libraries are a gateway drug"...and I believe it. :)

In this book a mysterious blue library card ties together four stories about reading and libraries.

Here's another copy on my BookCrossing shelf.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/22/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Off to see the world in chefcrossing's books-about-books box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2013
I'm claiming this from the Books about books bookbox; "gateway drug" indeed!

Later: I enjoyed these stories very much, though some of them were rather sad. Each one introduces different teenagers to a mysterious library card. There's "Mongoose", in which a young delinquent has a new world opened to him via the library - but whose best friend finds this an unacceptable separation; the story focuses more on the point of view of the friend who's left behind, and it's bittersweet. "Brenda" centers on a girl who's addicted to television to a frightening degree, such that a "Great TV Turn-off" causes her to go into a tailspin; in her case the library card could quite literally be a life-saver. "Sonseray" deals with a very troubled young man who wants to find out about his background; for him, the library card leads to storytime, and reveals the power of reading aloud... And "April Mendez" has a girl moving to a mushroom farm with her family, something she's not happy about at all; for her, it's the loss of her home-town library that hurts the worst, so when a bookmobile shows up all looks brighter - though there's an unexpected element as well.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Pine Hill Cemetery (Nartoff Road) in Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/10/2013 UTC) at Pine Hill Cemetery (Nartoff Road) in Hollis, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the weather, on a rock at the entrance of the Gelazauskas preserve across Nartoff Rd. from the cemetery, at about 3; hope the finder enjoys it! [I was in the area to do some geocaching, and found a couple of caches quite close to the same spot.]

Journal Entry 5 by ET1940 at Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, April 14, 2013
Found this book shortly after it was placed on the rock in Hollis, NH. I was out walking.
I never heard of this program so had quite a time registering and figuring out how it works. I enjoyed the book very much and plan to pass it on. I live in Nashua. NH