Reader's Companion, The: A Book Lover's Guide to the Most Important Books in Every Field of Knowledge As Chosen by the Experts

Free your books!
by Fred Bratman, Scott Lewis | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 078686009X Global Overview for this book
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 2/11/2013
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, March 14, 2013
I've had this one for a while; it's got lots of interesting stuff in it, but I think it's time for it to move on.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/22/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Off to see the world in chefcrossing's books-about-books box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2013
I'm claiming this from the Books about books bookbox. The last thing I need is a book that might give me more ideas of books for my wishlist, but I can't resist!

Later: While I'm fond of lists-of-things, I do like there to be some additional information, so my favorite parts of this book were those where the authors included brief explanations of their choices rather than simply listing them. Lawrence Block's entries included some of each, but his additional comments won me over ("I didn't really read individual books; I gulped down complete works"). It was also interesting to see which books showed up on the lists of which contributors; seeing Robert Parker include Winnie-the-Pooh among his influences tickled me. It was fun finding some contributors on the lists of others, such as M. K. Fisher. And on those subjects about which I've read fairly extensively myself, it was amusing to see which of the recommendations I'd read, and which of my own favorite sources were missing...

Released 6 yrs ago (4/6/2013 UTC) at Buckley's Great Steaks, 438 DW Highway in Merrimack, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a bench in front of Buckley's at about 6:30 or so, on my way in to have dinner with a friend; hope the finder enjoys the book! [And don't miss the corn and scallion risotto!]