Anna Karenina

by Leo Tolstoy | e-Books |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 2/9/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, February 09, 2013
Downloaded June 2, 2012
If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, August 23, 2018
This book is all about the characters. Many times while I was reading I wondered how all of this was going to end. It wasn't like a regular story where there's a pretty clear end goal. It was more like things are just happening and I wonder what's going to happen next. Tolstoy is a master of character development. It was very enjoyable and pretty easy to read.

One amazing thing is the way Tolstoy could switch between different characters and settings. Everyone had distinct personalities and the way they were all portrayed was with so much compassion and understanding. I believe that Tolstoy is considered a master of character development.

Tolstoy wrote from the heart about Levin, the intellectual farmer who tried to live a good life which he defined as being respected by the peasants who labored on his farm. Levin wants to be honest, yet social. Private, yet open. He's such a glorious mixed up man, at his best when harvesting wheat with his peasant brothers. Anna conflicted, does impulsive destructive things--giving into Vronsky--without any evidence that she's considered the effect on her and on her son.
The pace of the book is a little slow. Every chapter had something new happening and the story just strolled right along.