The White Indian Boy: The Story of Uncle Nick Among the Shoshones

Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 2/9/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Saturday, February 09, 2013
The White Indian Boy: The Story of Uncle Nick Among the Shoshones

This is the true story of "Uncle" Nick Wilson. He was a man who not only lived part of his life with the Shoshone Indians but rode for the Pony Express. Wilson, Wyoming is named after him. This book contains many photos and is illustrated with drawings by F. N. Wilson.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, February 15, 2013
Our family had a copy of this book when I was a kid. I believe it was given to my older brother as a gift in the late 1940s. Anyway, I remember reading parts of it when I was young but never read the whole book. Finally got around to reading this reprint and I really enjoyed it. It is supposedly the true story of E.N. Wilson (photo left) who emigrated to Utah with his family in 1850 as a boy of 8. He made friends with some local Indians and decided to run off with them and ended up living among the Shoshone for several years as the adopted son of a Shoshone chief's mother. This was very reminiscent of "Little Big Man" which I read recently. After leaving the Shoshone, he returns to Utah and works for the Pony Express and as a stage driver. He also recounts episodes in dealing with cattle thieves and being stuck in a blizzard where he almost loses his life. Overall, an entertaining adventure!

Released 6 yrs ago (4/25/2013 UTC) at Erishkigal's Native American Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding this one to the Native American bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, May 17, 2013
Taken from the Native American bookbox with thanks!