Curse of the Spellmans: A Novel

by Lisa Lutz | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by princess-peapod of San Luis Obispo, California USA on 2/6/2013
Journal Entry 1 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, February 06, 2013
On my Valentine buddies wish list

Journal Entry 2 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (2/5/2013 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

If you found this book while in the area of San Luis Obispo, CA. feel free to come by and check out Joe Mommas which houses our bookshelf! We also hold our local meetups on the first Tuesday of each month at 5pm there, please come join the fun! The books on the shelf are free to for you to read, enjoy and pass along to another!
Enjoy your goodies
"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, February 15, 2013
This looks good! Thank you so much for the Valentine goodies. I haven't read anything by this author before, but it looked like a fun series so I put it on my wishlist. Thanks for thinking of me! <3

Book #2 in the Izzy Spellman mystery series:

Their first caper, The Spellman Files, was a New York Times bestseller and earned comparisons to the books of Carl Hiaasen and Janet Evanovich. Now the Spellmans, a highly functioning yet supremely dysfunctional family of private investigators, return in a sidesplittingly funny story of suspicion, surveillance, and surprise.

When Izzy Spellman, PI, is arrested for the fourth time in three months, she writes it off as a job hazard. She's been (obsessively) keeping surveillance on a suspicious next door neighbor (suspect's name: John Brown), convinced he's up to no good -- even if her parents (the management at Spellman Investigations) are not.

When the (displeased) management refuses to bail Izzy out, it is Morty, Izzy's octogenarian lawyer, who comes to her rescue. But before he can build a defense, he has to know the facts. Over weak coffee and diner sandwiches, Izzy unveils the whole truth and nothing but the truth -- as only she, a thirty-year-old licensed professional, can.

When not compiling Suspicious Behavior Reports on all her family members, staking out her neighbor, or trying to keep her sister, Rae, from stalking her "best friend," Inspector Henry Stone, Izzy has been busy attempting to apprehend the copycat vandal whose attacks on Mrs. Chandler's holiday lawn tableaux perfectly and eerily match a series of crimes from 1991-92, when Izzy and her best friend, Petra, happened to be at their most rebellious and delinquent. As Curse of the Spellmans unfolds, it's clear that Morty may be on retainer, but Izzy is still very much on the case...er, cases -- her own and that of every other Spellman family member.

(Re)meet the Spellmans, a family in which eavesdropping is a mandatory skill, locks are meant to be picked, past missteps are never forgotten, and blackmail is the preferred form of negotiation -- all in the name of unconditional love.

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 05, 2013
My Review: I really enjoyed this book! It's silly at times, but I enjoy it as much as the Stephanie Plum series. I read the first book from the library, then this one. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.

I'm going to pass this one on to my friend who loves the Stephanie Plum series, also.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (4/23/2013 UTC) at Woodstock, Georgia USA

Gave to angellc, because I thought she would want to read it.