An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England: A Novel

by Brock Clarke | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by ekgv414 of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on 2/5/2013
Journal Entry 1 by ekgv414 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Received this book as a trade from MmeClinton, but she hadn't registered it, so I'm doing it now. So this journal entry counts as two journalers!

I had this on my wishlist, but had no memory of why I added it - did I read a review? Recommendation from a friend? However, now that I've read the synopsis, I'm really excited to read it. I'm in the middle of one book now and have another that I've promised someone, so this will go in the queue after those, and then I hope to pass it along again in a trade or RABCK.

Thanks, MmeClinton!

Journal Entry 2 by ekgv414 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 22, 2013
Still haven't read this one yet, but I'm taking it on a trip this weekend. If I finish it I may pass it along to one of the friends I'm traveling with, or maybe just wild release.

If I do that, I'll try to remember to come back and journal my thoughts and release notes, but I'm not optimistic about my memory for that (ha), so I'm leaving this as an update/semi-explanation if it ends up in someone else's hands next. :)

Journal Entry 3 by ekgv414 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 4, 2013
Well, I didn't end up reading this one on that trip. But I did pick it up again after I returned, and now I'll be looking to send this off in a trade or RABCK.

Sad to say I didn't really like this book much, after wanting to read it after reading a good review or getting a recommendation. I didn't like the way the plot wrapped up, and I didn't like the narrator, but more than that (not all characters are meant to be likable!), I just never quite "got a handle" on him. Too often, I felt he was doing or saying things that just didn't ring true. He didn't have to be realistic, but I wish he was more consistent with the character that author had already given us. Not sure if it even makes sense written that way, but too often I said to myself "I don't think Sam would be doing this."

That said, I'm still glad to have read something off my wishlist, and it was a nice, quick read. Would have been perfect for that trip I meant to take it on. (ha)

I also liked this bit, and just want to record it for reference before I pass the book along to a new home: "Maybe this was another reason why people read: not so that they would feel less lonely, but so that other people would think they looked less lonely with a book in their hands and therefore not pity them and leave them alone."

Journal Entry 4 by ekgv414 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, January 3, 2018
Sending this to MyChildsCloset in Virginia. Hope you enjoy!

For a weird side note, at the same time I offered this to MyChildsCloset off her wishlist, I offered another book to MmeClinton from hers, and didn't realize until I was packing both up and coming here to make journal entries that this one originally came FROM MmeClinton. The circle of life on Bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 5 by MyChildsCloset at Leesburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, November 1, 2018
I received this in the mail from another generous BXer quite some time ago. We shall not discuss the person who brought in the mail and did not put it where the incoming mail goes, or why I am only just now finding it. (As he is still a minor, I cannot press charges.) I will read it as soon as I can and pass it along!