corner corner Endless Night (Agatha Christie Collection)

Endless Night (Agatha Christie Collection)
by Agatha Christie | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingkeeta1wing of Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on 2/4/2013

status (set by LittleSuz): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, February 04, 2013

Amazon Editorial Review
Agatha Christie's disturbing 1960s mystery thriller, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Gipsy's Acre was a truly beautiful upland site with views out to sea -- and in Michael Rogers it stirred a child-like fantasy. There, amongst the dark fir trees, he planned to build a house, find a girl and live happily ever after. Yet, as he left the village, a shadow of menace hung over the land. For this was the place where accidents happened. Perhaps Michael should have heeded the locals' warnings: 'There's no luck for them as meddles with Gipsy's Acre.' Michael Rogers is a man who is about to learn the true meaning of the old saying 'In my end is my beginning!'

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 20, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (11/15/2017 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the winner of a sweep :)
Congratulations and Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 24, 2017

The fourth of my tea and mystery sweepstakes win to arrive! Always happy to receive an Agatha Christie, especially one I don't already have!!! Some interesting and exotically spiced tea and a bar of chocolate plus a beautiful postcard. You are spoiling me! Thank you so much Keeta1 for all my goodies.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 05, 2018

Endless Night by Agatha Christie - Good

The fourth of my tea and mystery sweepstake winnings :-)

So nice to read an Agatha Christie that I don't know much about. I had tried to watch the tv version when it first was shown, but it was another where they had inserted Miss Marple into a story that she doesn't belong in and, of course, it didn't work. This meant that I wasn't sure 'whodonit' and could happily read whilst hibernating during the snow.

Michael Rogers is a young man from a working class background. Thanks to his mum he's had a reasonably good education, but he's dissatisfied and a bit of a waster, drifting from job to job.

Whilst working as a chauffeur he sees a wonderful plot of land for sale - Gypsy's Acre. There is a house on it, but it's derelict. The perfect spot for the dream house he's always wanted. Of course, there's no way he can buy it, but he goes to the auction anyway. Thanks to a supposed gypsy curse, it doesn't sell. It's after this failed auction that he meets Fenella/Ellie and it is love a first sight. They meet in secret a number of times and places and eventually she admits she is an heiress - the minute she turns 21 they marry, she buys the plot of land and they set about building their dream house.

So many different people warn them off. An old gypsy, Ellie's various family and hangers on, Michael's mother, villagers etc. and, of course, Greta - Ellie's companion, confidant, and the woman that runs her life for her, makes everything happen.

There are accidents and incidents and eventually a death. Gypsy's Acre really does seem to be cursed....or was it murder? Was it all an elaborate plot and if so, who is the plotter?

I did have my theories, some of them turned out to be true. Regardless it was the perfect read for a snowy weekend.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassandra2020wing at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (3/7/2018 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

Released to obcz

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 6 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Retrieved from obcz

Journal Entry 7 by wingCassandra2020wing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (3/19/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Bringing to Old Gang Meetup

Journal Entry 8 by LittleSuz at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Picked up at meetup, thanks!