The Piano Teacher: A Novel

by Janice Y. K. Lee | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Carole888 of Perth City, Western Australia Australia on 1/29/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Carole888 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, January 29, 2013
This gave me an insight into Hong Kong during the Japanese occupation .... The story told, alternates between two periods that are separated by a span of 12 years.

Author's website

Journal Entry 2 by ukcanaus at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Friday, December 26, 2014

Thanks, Carole888, for this book - you are so generous! I have seen this book before, although it hasn't made my wishlist ;) I look forward to reading it soon! Thanks again :)

Journal Entry 3 by ukcanaus at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Thank you so much, Carole888 for this book. I finished it last week and am still thinking about it. For me, the story became more interesting and unpredictable once the Occupation had happened. But I could appreciate that the preceding section was to contrast the characters of Trudy and Will as the carefree couple and then to demonstrate what they were really like, given the circumstances of the war. As much as I wanted to like Claire, she seemed a bit bland... but that would be the case for anyone compared to Trudy!

Thanks again for this - I promise to release it soon!

Journal Entry 4 by ukcanaus at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, September 26, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (9/25/2015 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Sent as a RABCK - hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, December 25, 2015
I have heard about this book, and now I look forward to read it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, January 18, 2017
This was a good read.
I enjoyed reading about Hong Kong during the war. Both with regards to the careless life the ex-pats and the rich natives lived, and even more so their life during the occupation. This was a part of history I didn't know a lot about, and (as I try to tell my students) when I learn something new it is a good day.
As for the characters, I never liked Claire. I agreed with ukcanaus, that she seemed bland. Trudy, on the other hand, I did like.
Thanks a lot for sharing, time will show where the book traveles next.

Journal Entry 7 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (1/31/2017 UTC) at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

Going to the winner of authors from unusual countries sweeps. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Arrived to the island today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, June 01, 2020
"It started as an accident"
Book chosen by russbaum for the "First Sentence VBB" round 17.
Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 10 by wingrussbaumwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 16, 2020
and received from Arvores.
It's so not my usual style but I will give it a try.

Released 6 mos ago (8/27/2020 UTC) at - in Historische Box by Schokominza und Mary-T, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I was right - it wasn't my style.
So I have added it to the Bookcrossing "Already Crossed" bookbox for books received from other bookcrossers.
And this book certainly has been crossed a few times already.

Journal Entry 12 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 07, 2020
Taken from the Already Crossed Bookbox

Journal Entry 13 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 03, 2020
I learnt a lot about Hong Kong, the war and occupation but overall a found the book a bit boring.

Journal Entry 14 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 11, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/11/2021 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

On its way to a Little Free Library

Journal Entry 15 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 15, 2021
In a box of books from dolph1n. For release.

Released 1 mo ago (1/15/2021 UTC) at RABCK (Royal Mail), -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A wishlist book going to Shahrun with some children’s books for her LFL

Join UK Bookcrossers at the Newcastle Unconvention from 1st-3rd October 2021

Journal Entry 17 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Thank you so much for the amazing surprise RABCK package (with impeccable timing, arriving on my birthday). This one is a wish granter. The rest are for my Dagenham Little Free Library.