The Garneau Block

by Todd Babiak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingrureadingwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/26/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingrureadingwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 26, 2013
I enjoyed this story of almost thirty year old Madison, who lives in a basement suite of her parents' home, trying to get a grip on her life despite the complications that fate delivers. The neighbors on her block are an interesting, quirky bunch, and as the book progresses we learn what makes them tick in many humorous situations. The author doesn't just poke fun at his characters; he lampoons anything and everything from Alberta's history and politicians, to modern culture, and at the reader too.

I am a Calgarian, born and raised....except for the few years I lived there until we moved back to Calgary when I was 9. I recalled many of the landmarks and streets mentioned in the book, and spent some time down memory lane Googling my childhood home and neighborhood. I don't think another city could stand in for Edmonton as the characters are tied to the 'essence' of that city.
...
This book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world. Read it, share it, and pass it on! Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/14/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary BC Meetup today.

Journal Entry 3 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 12, 2013
Whoops, I forgot to journal this in Sept after the meeting!